Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '63 I6 194, auto xsm, with a Rochester BV single barrel carb. I can not get rid of the bog, hesitation or stumble on acceleration. Once going, the car runs great. After researching past post on similar issues, the possible causes are defective advance mechanism, accelerator pump or incorrect idle adjustment.After replacing the advance and accelerator pump and two rebuilds, I've come to the conclusion that the carb is just plain worn out.

There are a couple of post that suggest changing to a Rochester 2GC, small base, pre-seventies carb and using a base adapter. Can anyone provide any specific info such as:

1. Specific year or make of chevy that used a Rochester 2GC small base carb.

2.Where to get the carb and the base adapter.

3. Will I have to change the current ridgid mechanical throttle linkage to something different ie. cable

The folks at Advance don't even have a listing for any 63 carbs - too old and Napa is out of the carb business except for rebuild kits.
Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the exact problem with my rochester, tried everything! Last resort is to swap carbs.

Let me know if you do it and it helps the bog!

·
Registered
542 Posts
i've seen profesionally rebuilt rochester one barrels on ebay . not sure if you want to go the one barrel route or not. something i was considering at one point was going with a holley/weber progressive two barrel. langdons stovebolt 6 has all the parts to do the swap www.stoveboltengineco.com . i ended up doing the usual v-8 swap but have been considering going back to a L6 . let us know if you do the holley/ weber swap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've visited Stovebolts site. Have never had a Holly on any car. I'm planning on keeping the I6 in the car for now. I'm restoring the car for my 16 year old son for his 1st ride. A V8 would be great, but too much power for a novice driver. Down the road a swap will be in order.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I bought a rebuilt rochester at autozone wasn't to expensive but I work at a shop so I goyt the "jobber" price mine works fine once I got one that didn't leak

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only Rochester BV that I could find was a late model and for a chevy truck. Still a BV but the linkage was all backwards & it wouldn't work. Do you know what year and model that might fit my '63?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Trust me guys, I've been down this road before! I bought 2 rochester 1 bbl carbs from Autozone, both didn't work worth a crap. I then purchased a 2 bbl Carter carb and used that with an adapter on the stock intake. That worked better, until I found an Offy intake, and Holley 390 4 bbl. Now that I got the 4 bbl on there, I would never think of going back to the 1 bbl. It runs so much better, not to mention the additional power. :D
If you are set on keeping the 6, I would go with the 4 bbl setup, or at least the 2 bbl setup on stock manifold.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i've seen profesionally rebuilt rochester one barrels on ebay . not sure if you want to go the one barrel route or not. something i was considering at one point was going with a holley/weber progressive two barrel. langdons stovebolt 6 has all the parts to do the swap www.stoveboltengineco.com . i ended up doing the usual v-8 swap but have been considering going back to a L6 . let us know if you do the holley/ weber swap.
I guess I'm not alone either. I've thought about the same thing.
I am assuming its somthing like this:

[/IMG]

I got the carb on e-bay and the adapter is one I had sitting around that I got years ago to put a rochester 2GC on a 235 6cyl.
I heard of the 2bbl progressives and picked one up on e-bay just to see what they were about and if it would fit my adapter. I have no idea what this originally was off of. Early mustang/ pinto?
I'm going to try and run this carb after I figure out what rebuild kit to get for it and engineer a linkage/kickdown setup. I'm courious on how it will perform on my 194.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ran one of Langdon's on my 63's 194 for a couple years after getting sick of the wore out 1bbls (even the "rebuilt" ones from napa/autozone/kragen were a mess). Loved it. A bit more pep off the line because of the smaller primary and decent go once the secondary opened. Much easier to merge on the freeway. But the biggest benefit was the smooth operation, the engine loved that carb, ran perfect.

Now that I'm tearing apart the 63 for a bit of restification, I tossed the H/W 5200 on the 69's 250 just out of curiosity. Didn't expect much, I figured the engine was too big for the carb, but again it smoothed things out and picked up a bit on the low end (I have a bit of a lean bog when I hit the secondary, but have yet to bother messing with the jets.) I also need to get the kickdown linkage hooked back up...

For those who want to stay with a 1bbl, I remember Rudy over at Modern Performance suggesting a guy that rebuilds them really well somewhere in OC... I can see if I still have that info floating about if anyone's interested.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Well I guess I will save up for that offy intake and 390 holley. I also hear an edelbrock 500cfm would be fine as well. What about the linkage and kickdown cable? Also heard about some sort of heating plate that is required. What other parts are needed to swap the intake and carb?
I think the 500cfm will be too big for a stock 194, unless you change the jets. I would stick with the 390cfm, you can find them cheap. I believe member Vin63 has a intake,390 carb, header setup for sale still.
The heat plate is needed if you are running headers, if using a stock exhaust manifold, it's not required. On the Offy intake, the carb will only bolt on sideways, not straight like on a V8 making the linkages/kickdown situation a little tricky. I rigged something up that worked on my engine, but member Twisted6 (Larry) sells carb adapters, and linkages that will allow the carb to be mounted straight like the V8's. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Thanks sgtsteve. I am currently working on my suspension and the ccp kit,sways and offy+carb is next on the list. I am slightly concerned with the linkage. I guess I will contact the members you mentioned to figure something out.
You can check out Twisted6's website at www.t6racing.org
As mentioned, he has bellcranks, and linkages on there as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey foxbat, when i had a 230 inline 6 in my ride i too had a pretty bad bog. what i did was change all the gaskets, top and bottum anything related to the carb, dizzzy,etc etc. and also bumped the timing from 6 to 10 and made adjustments and it was good to go. it also helped that i did have a HEI distributor in. you would like it too, i highly recommend it. especially if you still have points in it. hey sgtsteve! i see you are still running that set up with your ride. thats pretty cool. i remember when u asked how i did it. im glad its working out for you. good luck guys.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
hey foxbat, when i had a 230 inline 6 in my ride i too had a pretty bad bog. what i did was change all the gaskets, top and bottum anything related to the carb, dizzzy,etc etc. and also bumped the timing from 6 to 10 and made adjustments and it was good to go. it also helped that i did have a HEI distributor in. you would like it too, i highly recommend it. especially if you still have points in it. hey sgtsteve! i see you are still running that set up with your ride. thats pretty cool. i remember when u asked how i did it. im glad its working out for you. good luck guys.
Hey 68 Nova Dude, did you go on vacation? Haven't seen you around in awhile? :D You were the one that did the 292 exhaust manifold swap right?
I'm getting old, can't remember :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
that would be me sgtsteve, i did run the 500 edel, offy 4 bbl intake, and 292 ex. manifold for a good while there. but i ended up dropping in a v8 inplace of the 230. foxbat,, sorry i forgot to say that when i had that bog, it was all stock motor,and that included points dizzy. and i can tell all you guys, that if you are to beef up a chevy inline 6, start with the motor. transmission, and rear gears. and ofcourse, bolt ons.! have a good one. see ya.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts