Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few 194/I6 questions. I wonder:

-how far out can a 194 be bored? If there is any significant taper to a block already bored .030, then it's basically scrap? I've never seen pistons bigger than .030

-I know that new harmonic balancers aren't available for this engine. Anybody use a rebuilding service with success? I just don't think any of the ones I have are solid enough for the job. Is there a new replacement someone has used?

-I can't seem to find a spec for either the exhaust or intake or exhaust/intake manifold combined unit for being flat or straight across the surface where the gasket contacts them both. I have 3 different manifolds, all have pretty measurable warpage (up to .025) which seems too much. Anyone ever surface one?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Unless you are restoring to factory correct, I'd consider building a 250. It'll be cheaper due to availability of parts and lots more hp and tq than a 194.

The block can probably be bored to .060, but you've already found that pistons will be tough to find.

A 250 balancer will fit the 194, unless correct originality is needed.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I have a few 194/I6 questions. I wonder:

-I know that new harmonic balancers aren't available for this engine. Anybody use a rebuilding service with success? I just don't think any of the ones I have are solid enough for the job. Is there a new replacement someone has used?
I don't think you will have any problem finding a harmonic balancer for your inline 6.

Some are on eBay and I saw several other sources.

Here is an example:

https://www.12bolt.com/store/p122/Single_Groove__Harmonic_Damper_Balancer_for_153__181_230_250_.html

I guess you know the balancer and pulley are all mated together as one part and come in both single and two groove styles.

Some two groove balancers have different spacing between the grooves

Lou

·
Super Moderator
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, and the sourcing on the H-balancer. I'm tearing one apart and will keep just about everything but the short block that's .030 and the crank has been turned.

The manifolds seem pretty tough to surface, and I think they'd have to be bolted together to be able to do it properly. If anyone has a source for that, let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts