Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I have a 1970 Nova 2 door. It has a 230 I6 with a three on the tree. It has about 150k miles on it, and I am about to out in a new head gasket. It has decent power, and can smoke the tires a little, but I would like a little more "oomph". I like the "relative" fuel economy, and my father likes the whole original thing. I love the three speed as it is a lot different from the five speeds I'm accustomed to. My question is should I swap in a small block Chevy, or just tune my six a little. What can I do to my six for a little more power. I don't want to totally hotrod it, as a V8 would probably be more cost effective.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The six will respond to the same things a V8 will. Headers, mild cam ~260, an intake with a small 4 barrel (Holley 390 or Edelbrock 500) or a Weber 2 barrel will do wonders. Also, if you want to keep matching numbers, the rotating assembly from a 250 will drop right in. Check out Stovebolt Engine Company, Clifford or ebay for parts.

Most here will tell you not to waste your time on the 6, but I for one, like something different.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
It is a tough call, and if you go with your heart you'll be happy. I just pulled my 250 and swapped it with a 350 off e-bay. But that is becuase I've always dreamed of having dual exhaust and a chrome air cleaner with TWO chrome valve covers since highschool.

But now I've cleaned up the 250, painted it and stuck it back into a 73 nova rolling body, and the 250 is a cool little engine. It is a lost easier to change spark plugs, oil filters, and starter, and you avoid heat problems from the exhaust becuase it is only on one side of the engine. And it is MORE FUEL EFFICIENT! And it is different! (and you already have it!)

So there are a lot of things to think about. Everyone has a 350 in their car.. and if I didn't have some left over teenage high school issues becuase I was a dorky kid with an un-cool car, I think the 250 would lead me to drive my car around town a lot more like a normal car, instead of "saving" it for nice days like it is a muscle car (which it isn't, it isn't much faster than with the six!)

thats my 0.02

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, I'm a junior in high school, but I don't have that many car issues. Besides my 230 already displaces more than most of the Hondas/tuners/whatever. I've also got a '64 Chrysler with a 361 to alleviate my V8 pains. I would like to keep the stock intake manifold as the little Rochester 1bbl adds to the six cylinder charisma. Would having the head and both manifolds hot-tanked help? Also, what about those kits for Dremel tools to polish the cylnder head ports?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
new2novas said:
i want to do a boosted six for my next project....:)
What do you want to steal one for?? You can get them for free so frequently.:eek:

Randy (OH!!!! Forced induction!!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hey Green I had a 68 with a 230 bone stock and it would smoke the heck out of one wheel for at least 7' lol But my 64 for wil by far out do that. :D(250 block) But anyway a nice Rv style cam a fresh set of valve springs and some sort of daul exhaust and you'd be surprized how much more you'd wake that little 230 up even with the 1b carb. You can take a look at my 64SS on my web site along with the videos I have up.You can also up grade to a HEI dist.or get a kit from crane to up grade from the old points. and keep the stock dist.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Well since you're all about fuel economy and power I say boost it....but mind you it's not going to be cheap and it may not be easy either....but it'll run like a stallion when all is said and done and it's set upright.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Coolnees & Originality aside. Performance parts for the V-8 are more readily available, and much cheaper. Comparison wise, if you do the same things to both motors, the V-8 will outperform the I-6.

That aside: You need to decide what you want to do, and go with it. You are the one that needs to be happy with it, not anyone else!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I believe I'll keep the six, seeing as how I bought it because it gets better mileage than my other car. What do you guys think the most cost effective modification to a six would be?

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Here is what most people are doing to the L-6 engines:

HEI distributor (got mine from U-Pull-It for 35.00)
Alum Intake
Small 4bbl
headers
hotter cam

You can compliment this with a 5 speed trans (ie S10 pickup); or 200R4 automatic, and rear gears for better takeoff.

I do not see many with superchargers, but that would be the ultimate.

Lou in Arkansas (older than dirt)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Will an S-10 5 work with a 6 banger? Will it hook up together? I've been looking into getting one for my wagon, but wasn't sure it would work or even if the shifter would fit.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I just removed an inline 6 and stuffed a 406 in my 66 sedan. I must say..I love the 406 but I miss the dependablility and stealthness of the inline 6. Plus....gas is killing me. Looking back I should have just rebuilt the 6 and called it a day. Could have saved me a ton of money and lots of extra headaches. I still might build a turbo charged inline 6 just for fun but I need to learn more about turbo chargers.

I say keep the I6.
Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everybody!:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
cost effective and still good milage is HEI from Pick n pull, then clifford headers, split headers, or 6 into 1 headers. The split headers fools people into thinking its a v8

1 - 18 of 18 Posts