Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's all getting blurry. After owning and seeing more than a few Novas with an inline 6, I don't know what an original dipstick is for a first generation car. I bet it changes year by year and certainly by displacement. With oil pans being different across the Chevrolet line, I'm sure there are differences model to model. Engines are often replaced with ones from other donor cars, but is there a more easily swiped, swapped or changed part than a dipstick?

I have three, and I don't think any are right for '62. I have a '62 car, but I will be running a 194 from a '63 with '63 carb, intake, pcv, etc.

First picture shows the 3 I have. The one with the yellow handle is from some other car, severed at the end with a home made hash mark where full 'ought to be'. It has a collar. The second one with a collar comes from a known '69 Nova with 230 CID 6 cylinder. And the final one just seems to be stamped from flat stock and, rather than a collar, has just a captured washer for the stop and is wider than the other two. It's hard to see, but as measured from where the dipstick would stop on the tube, 'full' is at about 9 3/4 inches and 'add' is at about 10 1/4 inches. With the correct amount of oil in the engine, this one marks the correct amount for 'full' and 'add'.

Anyone know the correct one for '62, or '63 and have a picture or measurement?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
i can almost feel what your talking about. the dip stick in my L-30 is correct in the measurement but is like trying to push a cork screw into a tube. i've tried to straighten it with an anvil an small hammer to make it straight, but it seams as it has a memory an goes back to its twisty shape. i think i'm going to buy a longer one an cut to correct size an use my air scribe to put the marks on.

·
6,326 Posts
Someone will know a lot more than I on the older ones but to throw this out, on my 68 with the 230 motor, the end of the dipstick curled end is a plastic insert (white in my case) that from what I understand has a connection as to what it was used on (4, 6, or V8) at the time.

While this doesn't directly answer your questions about earlier models, below is what I believe is the original on my 68:

Oil Dipstick (1) Refinished.jpg

·
13,083 Posts
And we haven't even really gotten into the color code plugs, many of which fell out years ago. None on early sixes. White on a 1966 194 CID, green on a 283 V/8.....I think.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even past the color codes, I'm more interested in style and length. It seems the originals are spring steel, explaining why it would snap back into shape after being bent. Any members having a known original for a '62 or '63 ('64 or 5?) 194 engine, could they post a pic or measurements. Jim, your is plated, and I haven't seen one for a first generation that was plated like that.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
you made me go out an look at my dip stick. no plastic plug but looks as there might have been one but long gone now. plus i sprayed the top black a couple years back as it looked nasty on top.

·
6,326 Posts
Even past the color codes, I'm more interested in style and length. Jim, your is plated, and I haven't seen one for a first generation that was plated like that.
Please keep in mind, I just offered what I have on my 68 and not a direct answer to your question about earlier ones.

No, it's not plated but cleaned up and I will not, like Redrider66SS :) go and look at mine which I think got painted over to match the color of the block.

Jim

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ . . . . good point , Jim . I'll look at mine tomorrow . . . . .

Frank , Mine's a 250 ( no help there) . . . . but I have 5 - 250 motors . . . . . (and, one 292 ) , and I would guess that each 'dip-stick' may be different ?

I'll make sure to mark each one, before I lay them out - - - - - - - - you got me thinking now , jim

ps - come to think - - - one of my 250's . . is missing the 'dip-stick' . " interesting "

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it gets funky with the difference in the length of the tubes. I guess I could change the length of the tube to match, now that I know the correct level with the right amount of oil in the pan. Trying to keep it correct. Thanks to all for the info provided and pics.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Here are a couple pics I took for you Frank. The middle stick is from my very original 62. The other two are from a 63 and a 64 and appear to be exactly the same. The only difference I can see between all three is that the one form my 62 doesn't have the words "engine oil" stamped into it. As you can see, all three are made of flat steel including the handle section so there could not have been a colored plug. Also, I noticed an oring under the captured washer to seal it to the tube. Probably just missing from the other two. The width is about 5/16". Your flat one would be correct for your 62 or 63 194. Looks like you need to expand the split section under the washer to help retain in the tube.

20200226_171947.jpg
20200226_171729.jpg

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Alrighty then, today was very nice this afternoon . . . . so, I did go - out & look at All my ' engine oil dip - sticks ' .
Frank you made me have too think - - - 250 motors , sorry , and 3 of the 6 six cylinder motors . . I do know where they came from ; then 2 more motors - - the 'trucks were sitting there' - - 1 . . 250 engine bought on Craigslist, for a V8 upgrade, and the truck was sitting there ; a 64 / 65 Chev 1/2 ton. That's the one engine that the dip-stick is ' MIA ' .
The spare 250 engine in my 'conex - box' was bought from my neighbor in Bagdad - - - he said it was a truck motor from mid 70's . . . ? ? ?
Then my 292 engine was bought on Craiglist , still in the C-30 truck ( a V8 upgrade), 75 - 77 , 1 ton. This motor was still in the truck ( original motor - - ? ) . . . it runs .
My 69 Nova - - 250 , original motor . My Driver .
My 73 Nova - - 250 , parts car , another original motor - to that car.
My 53 International p/u - - 250 motor - - pulled from a 68 Chevelle (wrecked car) , pulled by me .

Does that matter . . . not-much . . . but, the 69 , 73 , 53 IH (68 Chevelle) . . . all had the "white buttons" & all looked the exact same .

the 292 motor had a "red button" . . . and was much longer, than the 3 above. Being longer the markings were different . This is a " MEXICO " motor ; got to
be a newer motor - - GM moved the production (of six cylinders motor) to Mexico in the early 90's … & has a 'rebuild tag' , on the block .

the Bagdad motor . . . had a "green button" , and was "Home Made" from who knows what . It was a GM type, had been cut-off , and marked completely wrong. Showing way over-full . . . checking by the white button dip-sticks .

Good thing I saw this post & marked each one 1st . I did 'try' to take pictures . . . but the camera quit working ( only 3 pictures & not very good).
Thanks Frank for bring this to my attention . . . . I have never heard of this ; or knew about those " buttons " .
Thanks Custom Jim for that picture , showing the " white button " . . . . . . never too ' old ' too learn sumthing . again - - NPHNP .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts