Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a I6 right now and i just bought a 454 and a T400 trani. I was woundering what is going to have to change? I know that the mounts,Cross member,springs,and not 100% sure what else is going to have to change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gas is not a problem, its a toy something to have fun with. I don't care about gas. :)

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
You need to do a search on this. There was a post with several links in the past few days. We need to combine and make this into sticky topic.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I am in the middle of sb to bb conversation headache right now.

What I have found out is that there are 3 different types of frame mounts.

Ranging from 68 only to 69-70 and 69-72. ( I know there wasn't a 71 or 72BB but thats what the catalog says)

If you have manual steering no problems really. But if have power steering watch out.

Just study and measure.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
You can use either small block frame mounts, or big block frame mounts, but since you have neither, I would use big block frame mounts, you might be able to get by with the three groove pulley that is on the crank, but it is VERY close to the subframe, so try and find a two groove crank pulley, you will need a different throttle rod (if 68 to early 70) or convert to the throttle cable that late 70-up use unless your is a late 70-up, if you run headers you might have to go to a floor shifter as the shifting rod hits the headers, if you use the bbc frame mounts, and use that th400, you may have to buy and modify the th400 crossmember as I have HEARD (have no personal experiance with this) that the ones sold now are for a small block and you need enlong the holes, you will need a better cooling system, if you plan on running a mechanical fan, you should get the bb radiator shroud, hood clearance may be an issue depending on what intake and air cleaner you use (not a problem with a 2" filter and a drop base with most intakes from what I have gathered), you will need to get a kickdown switch for the th400 (I still have to find out what all is needed and now to hook it up if I swap to a th400 also), if your th400 is not a short shaft, you will need a new or shortend driveshaft, if it is a short shaft, you should be able to use the same driveshaft, but will need a th400 yolk, and you will need too upgrade the fuel system, with the 6cyl the fuel line is 5/16ths I think and should (not a must, but why put a bigger motor in if it can not be fed enough gas to give you that extra hp?) be upgraded along with your fuel sending unit to a 3/8 unit and fuel line, and I am sure I am missing a few other things. It is not as hard as it sounds, but ALOT of annoying little things that can keep you pulling your hair out if not somewhat prepaired.

You might need new front springs, depends on the ride hight you want that the shape of your current springs. That is all I can think of for now, OH, OH, if that 454 came out of a truck, that oil pan will most likely not fit, you need a car oil pan.
bill (doesn't know what the heck he is talking about)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I just was talking to someone today about the fuel lines. And the kick down switch is that because the kick down cable won't work or the vacuum or am I just talking out my [email protected]#. And the column I planed on sticking a manual one in also planed on putting the shiffter on the floor. Along with the throttle cable it's in a 73 nova, should that cable be ok? If I wanted to put power steering on it would it be a big problem? Or would it be to close to the frame? The hood I planed on a two in. cowl hood. The trani is a short tail. The cross member is still going to have to be elongated right. And with the mounts what year should I get if they are having problems with that?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
TH400..BB issues..

FWIW....I used a Lokar cable to replace the factory column shift linkage in my 68 BB car. We have Hooker Comp headers and power steering....the kickdown switch on a TH400 is electric and the factory setup would be a switch mounted on the carb up to 69 and then under the gas pedal in 70. You need to order either a 68/69 or a 70 BB auto, column shift engine harness..then you will have the right wires. If you go the 70 route and mount under gas pedal there may be some additional wiring. Wayne Bushey at National Nostalgic Nova can get you the "RIGHT" parts to help make this work. Hope this helps.

wilma:shh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts