Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I bought a '68 Chevy Nova, with a 383 SBC in it, off of a guy I worked with, I drove it about a half dozen times then blew the engine! lol come to find out the guy who put the engine together didn't know what the hell he was doing! Well I am new to classic cars and I learned that ignorance is expensive!

I am currently in Afghanistan with B-co 1-18IN 170IBCT, can't wait till I get a real answer on when the heck we are going to leave this place! My car is in Billings, MT being fixed up by my mechanic. currently I have replaced the stock radiator with a Griffin Dominator Series Radiator I am putting in a Flex-a-lite Black Magic Xtreme Series Electric Fans, I ordered a Proform Electric Water Pump to also help with the cooling. For the brakes I am converting from drum to disc with SSBC Disc Brakes.

I want to redo the exhaust system from the headers back, my current headers are chrome plated and I think that contributed to my overheating issue! Any one with a quite exhaust system that doesn't kill my hp/torque, please let me know what you did!

As far as the intake manifold and Carburetor I plan on putting in a Holley Street Dominator Intake Manifold. Carburetor, a Holley Ultra Street Avenger 670 cfm (I am sold on double pumpers!), but should I get the Holley Model 4150 Ultra Carburetors 750 cfm?

What I want to do with this car is something that will tear up the autobahn while still having a respectable time on a quarter mile.

I would be greatly appreciative of any suggestions or comments!

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you with us, Thanks for your service. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your engine. Sounds like you have good plans for your nova. Good luck with it. Post some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey bud,My grandson just came back from Balad so keep your Eye's open and thank you.Chrome didn't make it overheat,but no biggie,we only suggest Electric pumps on race cars around here because you might find a belt in the middle if the nite not likely an electric motor. don't stop on my account just something to think about

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
63drag, I was in Balad back in 09-10 ask him if he remembers FOB Atruz, my unit (B-co 1-28IN 4IBCT 1ID) closed it down and turned it over to the camel jockeys... to late on the electric pump I already bought it, gosh I wish i would have know that earlier:mad:, I was more interested in reducing factors that took away from my hp/torque!

how do you post pictures on here! :confused: I want to post the few photo's I have, but I am rather new to this site.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
FP,

First off, Thank you for your service to our country! Without guys like you none of us would be able to enjoy the freedoms we all take for granted.:salute:

I also wanted to take a sec and mention to please not forget the wounded in this conflict. So much gets focused on the dead but there are a lot of guys and gals that have been wounded and are being treated like a red headed step child by the government. I don't want this to get political so please don't comment but I do want to keep it at the forefront so none of us forgets them!

If you want to make it handle my suggestion would be to look at a Hotchkis TVS system for your car.

John

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
:waving:TO SNS,
KOOL RIDE AND :cool pics:
ENJOY THE SITE!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
What killed the motor in the first place?

Personally, I would have thrown the (wounded) SB away and went to a BB, if you want the power...

Are the headers chrome or polished Ceramic? Either way they would be better at reducing heat than non coated headers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What killed the motor in the first place?

Personally, I would have thrown the (wounded) SB away and went to a BB, if you want the power...

Are the headers chrome or polished Ceramic? Either way they would be better at reducing heat than non coated headers.
What killed the motor? combo heat and not being put together right, long story and I have to go get ready to roll out for a patrol here in a few mins.

can you offer some advice on headers? I work 60+ hours a week when not on deployment so chrome is just too pretty and a pain in the butt to maintain! I was thinking Hooker Competition Darkside Ceramic Coated Headers or Hooker Super Competition Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers but those are dang near twice the price? Would the Titanium be worth it? Also after the headers what should i be putting on there? the exhaust system i have right now is so ****ing loud I can't talk to my passenger! lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
What killed the motor? combo heat and not being put together right, long story and I have to go get ready to roll out for a patrol here in a few mins.

can you offer some advice on headers? I work 60+ hours a week when not on deployment so chrome is just too pretty and a pain in the butt to maintain! I was thinking Hooker Competition Darkside Ceramic Coated Headers or Hooker Super Competition Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers but those are dang near twice the price? Would the Titanium be worth it? Also after the headers what should i be putting on there? the exhaust system i have right now is so ****ing loud I can't talk to my passenger! lol
I can see the not being put together right, but heat isn't usually an issue unless it REALLY wasn't put together right!

I would just go with regular ceramic coating, it polishes up well enough, but it also makes the headers last pretty much forever.

It's costing me $320CDN to have mine professionally coated. I got a good deal on the headers ($200) though so that helps.

I have uncoated headers on, now, that I put on 13 years ago, and they have been 'ugly' since I put them on. I even removed the factory paint and painted them with VHT before I installed them and that paint burned off in about 20 minutes.

Ceramic coating, aside from looking a lot better, for a lot longer, seriously reduces underhood heat. It also keeps the heat in the pipes better so the headers work better at moving the exhaust out of the motor.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm going with the Holley Ultra Street Avenger 670 cfm vac sec electric choke, an edelbrock air-gap intake.

I wanted your guys opinion on a carb spacer... I was thinking a 2" http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-8712/ but would a 1" be the better idea? I have a 2+ inch hood cowl (I think is the proper term! **** I am so novice!), so space shouldn't be an issue!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow nice car!! :yes: Welcome to SNS. Sorry about your bad deal on the 383, they're a pretty awesome engine, especially on torque.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome to the site and thank you for your service. Soldiers, police, and fire fighters are the real heros and role models our kids should be looking up to. Anyone who lays their life down for another is the definition of what a hero is, not how many drugs you do or cars you have or how much jewelry you wear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts