Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 62 wagon has the original 194 engine and the original Rochester BC carb. I have rebuilt it a few times over the past number of years and have grown tired of its unreliability.

The 194 with stock intake manifold is here to stay so what carb would you recommend that fits the following criteria:
- will fit without hood clearance issues
- will be decent on gas mileage
- has no major linkage adaptation issues
- isn't major $$$

thanks in advance

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am in a similar situation. Since you are keeping the stock intake check out langdon's stovebolt website. Not sure about the clearance issue but I believe you can't use the stock air cleaner with the 2bbl. Another air cleaner from Langdon's should solve the issue. The whole setup including carb, linkage, adapter, and air cleaner is about $155. I'm going to do this swap as soon as I get my car repaired. The offy+holley 390 cfm combo is also popular but you are looking at more money and another intake. The 390 cfm potentially would get you better mpg and performance though.
(www.stoveboltengineco.com)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm kind of familiar with Langdon Stovebolt but didn't know they have a kit for $155, can you provide a directly link to it? i didn't see it.

thanks for the tip on the Napa rebuild, i had no idea they sell these.

anyone else with a suggestion?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just installed a langdon carb on my 67 250 I had a problem with the linkage but the one they sell I belive is for the 194 its a good carb and when you place your order if something won't work he will tell you

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm kind of familiar with Langdon Stovebolt but didn't know they have a kit for $155, can you provide a directly link to it? i didn't see it.
thanks for the tip on the Napa rebuild, i had no idea they sell these.
anyone else with a suggestion?
There are similar threads out there. I am in the same predicament and wanted to rebuild my 1 barrel but members here advised me to install a 2bbl or for the offy+holley. Even rebuilt ones tend to fail. Read this thread
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119206

It is not a kit but here is the breakdown of prices.
1)1 bbl to 2 bbl adapter-$15
2)Holley Weber Carb (rebuilt)-$75 (Stovebolt also sells a carter 2bbl for $85 but a member recommended the holley)
3)Air Cleaner-$30
4)Linkage-$35

Total is $155. (Plus shipping I guess) Hope this helps.:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I'd look for a used Offy intake/390cfm carb and go that route. I did the same thing you're looking at doing, bought an adapter and had a Carter 2 bbl on the stock intake, ran a little better than the 1 bbl but still was not happy. Found a good deal on both a used Offy intake and Holley 390cfm carb and haven't been happier with this combo!!!
BTW: I believe Vin63 (Vince) has a manifold/390cfm carb, header setup for sale still......

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are similar threads out there. I am in the same predicament and wanted to rebuild my 1 barrel but members here advised me to install a 2bbl or for the offy+holley. Even rebuilt ones tend to fail. Read this thread
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119206

It is not a kit but here is the breakdown of prices.
1)1 bbl to 2 bbl adapter-$15
2)Holley Weber Carb (rebuilt)-$75 (Stovebolt also sells a carter 2bbl for $85 but a member recommended the holley)
3)Air Cleaner-$30
4)Linkage-$35

Total is $155. (Plus shipping I guess) Hope this helps.:yes:
extremely helpful, thanks for the breakdown. Do you have any pictures of this setup? especially of the throttle and kickdown linkage?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Still have not done the swap on mine yet although my 1 barrel has a leak and it bogs. It works for now so I am going to repair the more urgent things first. Still want that offy and holley 390 but it is out of my price range.Do not have pics but if you do the install before I do (most likely) post some pics. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I also haven't done my induction setup yet but I'm getting close. I originally planned to put a Holley/webber progressive 2bbl on my 194, but haven't figured up a linkage or trans kickdown yet. I have a complete 2x1 offenhauser setup with dual 1bbl holleys ready to go. I just am not sure what this setup will do and I know how finicky running more than one carb can be. The hot rodder in me wants to run this cooler looking setup instead.
But then I'm wanting good gas mileage with this engine, so I'm leaning more to the Holey/Webber carb. Easier to mess with one carb than two. I would love to see some good pics of the linkage setup for one of these. I've been thinking of using the linkage kit from Langdons but just haven't seen a pic of the whole kit to get an idea of whats involved in it. Then I'm thinking a throttle cable would be easier to use with one of those universal throttle/ kickdown brackets that bolt to the rear carb flange.
Langdons seem to have everything figured out and $155 is a very good deal. I would go that route. I've seen how dual holley/webbers run on a six and they run good. Just wish money wasn't so wierd right now or I would go that route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts