Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but my girlfriend says she (the nova) will die and i wont make it.. and she says it'll be a huge butt load of cash in gas even if i some how do make it..

any one ever done a long trip like this or think my girl will die :no:

I am not going to because she will die and be a huge load in cash but a man can dream right :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
road trip

wow 4000 miles that could be fun, i had my nova 28 years and its never been more the 125 miles from home , but at this point the 15 feet out the garage door would be a milestone that i have not manged to hit in 10 years

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Go for it!!!

Check out everything - under the hood, under the car.

If you car is in good shape, it should make the trip with no problems. But if you do have mechanical problems, parts should be available.

Longest trip in my 68 is just a tad over 900 miles.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
If you go, bring a set of basic tools, just in case ....

Or anything that might put a strain or need replacing during the trip .....

I usually keep a extra set of belts, hoses, and some water in my car if I go more than 75 plus miles away from my place ... Anything can happen IMO :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Mine has been to California several times. To keep gas expenses down an overdrive transmission is needed or a highway gear like a 2.56 or 2.73 to keep RPM's low.
I drive 75 mph at 2200 rpm's and get 19+ mpg. It was built to be able to cruise on long trips. last trip was just over 2000 miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Buddy of mine has taken his Nova from Buffalo to FL and back several times. and even to Texas and back. He had a few different combos on the trips from Bigblock strokers to fuel injected turbo smallblocks. Autos and 5 speeds. Hes got a full cage in the car too. Hes a crazy dude though. Id never do it.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I'd be more concerned about my car sitting in the hotel parking lot than if it would make the trip.:eek:
I don't like going to the grocery store if I can't see it. Once it's gone it's gone.
Nothing can really be done to prevent theft, only measures to make it more difficult. Best thing to do is either insure it well or sleep in the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've done it lots of times from WV to Los Vegas but that was in the 70's when gas was under .50 but I got 20 miles a gallon in my 1976 nova ss 350 with a quadro jet 4 barrel 4 speed

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It can be fun but lots can go wrong and spoil the trip and as has been pointed out you could loose the car to thieves along the way...

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Well there is nothing better than cruising down the Highway in a Hot Rod or our Case an Old Nova, I have driven from Delaware to Florida and then from there back north to New jersey, It was almost 3000 Miles total, and that was in my Pro Street Nova with 31x18.5 rear tires and 4:56 gears, got around 15 to 16 mpg and was a Blast, I would not think twice about driving mine long distance, only thing that stops me is cost of gas.Biggest problem I have is no room for spare tire, and also hard to carry luggage, but we manage, Triple A is a Must.
I have had one bad trip, going to Tennessee had a blow out on front 3 miles from mid way stop over Thank goodness for AAA they roll backed me too motel and only cost $20 well really $8 but at 11 PM I think a $12 tip was needed.
As for the one trip, It was 2006 Power Tour, and I did the Long haul, I hope to do it again someday, Very envies of Novadriver (Chris) He drives his 74 from one end of the US to the other without thinking bout it. A car can break a mile from your home as easy as 4000 So if it is maintained and kept up with why not? As Novadriver says, Drive'em More fun that way

·
Registered
250 Posts
As long as you can troubleshoot problems and carry some basic tools with you, go for it! My 63 has been from Cali to South Dakota twice (4 trips x 2100 miles), the 67 Chevelle before it also did it 4 times, and my Dad's El Camino made the final trip with my Harley in the back and towing my 63 on a dolly filled with my worldly possessions.

These cars have four wheels for a reason: to get driven off! And unless she's paying for gas, she shouldn't worry how much money gets pumped in the tank! The actual price difference between driving a classic and shlupping along in a newer car isn't as big as most people think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After I get mine done it wouldn't bother me to take a trip to anywhere in it that I wouldn't take in my 2012 camaro or my 2011 chevy truck. What would be the difference if you refurbish it then it should be as good as new. Least that's what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
all you need to bring is your laptop with all the help on this site someone is certain to live where you break down if you breakdown im in texas when you make it here dont reccomend coming here from about july thru sept. unless you have a very good a/c system in your car good luck

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
but my girlfriend says she (the nova) will die and i wont make it.. and she says it'll be a huge butt load of cash in gas even if i some how do make it..

any one ever done a long trip like this or think my girl will die :no:

I am not going to because she will die and be a huge load in cash but a man can dream right :)
if the car is roadworthy then go. if you don't have the confidence then get it before you leave or it might very well end in a bad situation.

i've been about 2000 miles RT in my Hotrod and enjoyed every minute of it. if i could afford it i'd take even longer trips... i expect my new DD to be even better in length of trips. it's going to be my best cruiser/miser car to date...

·
Registered
318 Posts
As most have said.....Do It. Drive mine every day, and already making road trip plans for 2013. The wife and I put an average of 15-18k (miles) a year on the ol' wagon. Keep some basic tools & fluids w/you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts