Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,I think I have an issue. I was looking at my new AFR 210's and measured the exhaust ports. They are about 1 1/2 wide. I have Hooker Super Comp 1 3/4 headers,but the flange is not 1 3/4.
Kinda dosent make sense to have a bigger,flowing exhaust runner just to have it smack the opening of the header flange?
Do they make an adapter,can I try to port the flange?
Anyone have this issue.
Even If I went with a larger diameter header,I imagine the flange would still be the obstical.
Brandon

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I had the same issue and used the 1 3/4 chassis headers. I welded up the tube on the outside to the flange and ported them to match the gasket. Not the best solution but at least the exhaust is not just smacking into the flange anymore

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue and used the 1 3/4 chassis headers. I welded up the tube on the outside to the flange and ported them to match the gasket. Not the best solution but at least the exhaust is not just smacking into the flange anymore
This might be the solution

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I asked Joe Sherman over on Speedtalk the same exact question on my 210 AFR's.....

"I have been using these heads for 20 years plus, and it does not matter that the exhaust port is wider than the header flange. All the flow comes right down the center of the port. I always chamfer the exhaust header flange when it looks too narrow, but when I had a set of headers made that matched perfectly, it was only worth 5 HP on a 615 HP engine. Dont worry about it."

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked Joe Sherman over on Speedtalk the same exact question on my 210 AFR's.....

"I have been using these heads for 20 years plus, and it does not matter that the exhaust port is wider than the header flange. All the flow comes right down the center of the port. I always chamfer the exhaust header flange when it looks too narrow, but when I had a set of headers made that matched perfectly, it was only worth 5 HP on a 615 HP engine. Dont worry about it."
Interesting. I think then I just will weld the outside and clean up the inner weld.
Brandon

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
in grumpys book

he recommends the header flange to be bigger than the port to help with reversion ,, but he used some crazy big cams ,, 295/305 @ .050 stuff that he writes about,, eh i read alot , but i want as much information possible before i get done with this one.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
he recommends the header flange to be bigger than the port to help with reversion ,, but he used some crazy big cams ,, 295/305 @ .050 stuff that he writes about,, eh i read alot , but i want as much information possible before i get done with this one.
I think the roof of the port needs the offset header more than the sides and floor. And yeah Joe uses some big cams, and spins the engines way up.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read the thread.Sound like he knows what he's talking about.
Alot of it was WAY over my head.
Brandon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts