Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my brakes locked up a week or so ago, I joked about finally pulling the trigger on swapping to discs up front. After getting them working again (swapped masters) my gf said "Oh I thought you were getting disc brakes". Well, I just spent my morning looking at pricing and found this kit from Summit. What do y'all think? Anyone using this?

What master would I use for this? I'd be keeping the manual brake set up since I don't have room for a booster.

Oh yeah, one thing I didn't consider are my wheels. They're 14 x 6 but I'm not sure if the backspacing would work. They're 3.375 in. backspace Torq Thrusts (VN1054661).

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess the main thing I'm concerned with is the backspacing. For the price I'm willing to be the guinea pig as long as it fits under my rim!

·
Registered
255 Posts
just installed this kit on my 3gen X-body - quit easy going!

main advantage is that you can reuse the drum spindle

will go for a cpp mc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just installed this kit on my 3gen X-body - quit easy going!

main advantage is that you can reuse the drum spindle

will go for a cpp mc
I'm definitely liking it. I just wonder if my wheels will clear. It sure looks like it would...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you hard pressed to stay with a 14" wheel? If so, that kit will do the job. You'd be better off using discs that are a little larger, though. I used a "drum to disc" kit on my '69 from TRSD and was very pleased with their kit.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
712 Posts
I dont know what year but I used my stock spindles from my 67 and mated the 69 brackets and dust shields. Used 69 rotors, calipers and hoses and a 67 Disc Drum Master Cylinder. Super easy

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you hard pressed to stay with a 14" wheel? If so, that kit will do the job. You'd be better off using discs that are a little larger, though. I used a "drum to disc" kit on my '69 from TRSD and was very pleased with their kit.
Yeah, gotta stay with the 14's - I literally just bought them less than a year ago.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know what year but I used my stock spindles from my 67 and mated the 69 brackets and dust shields. Used 69 rotors, calipers and hoses and a 67 Disc Drum Master Cylinder. Super easy
1964. I'm thinking of using this kit, a 1970 corvette 1" Master for disc/drum and the inline tube GM prop valve.

·
Registered
726 Posts
'69 nova parts? i am assuming you had to machine something to get it to fit, eh?

-Rusty

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
712 Posts
Yes the mounting boss on the top where the large bolt goes

·
Registered
1972 Nova
376 Posts
Just keep in mind that your front wheels will stick out an additional 3/8" on each side with that kit. This kit (it's from Right Stuff Detailing, but I couldn't find that exact kit on the website stating 0 offset) will work, but will actually bring your wheels in .1" from the stock drums.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just keep in mind that your front wheels will stick out an additional 3/8" on each side with that kit. This kit (it's from Right Stuff Detailing, but I couldn't find that exact kit on the website stating 0 offset) will work, but will actually bring your wheels in .1" from the stock drums.
Huh. I keep seeing mixed messages on this online. I'd be interested in a CBR kit that doesn't come with a master/booster combo.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So looking at the html coding on the churchboys page - I see that the Right Stuff kit they're offering is pn#AFXDC14N.

The kit I posted about from Summit is pn#AFXWK14

I wonder what the difference is, aside from the M/C and booster...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Digging a little deeper in their code on the church boys checkout page (with the kit selected w/o master) I see that it is actually the same kit # I linked from summit. CBR is claiming zero degree on their page, Summit is a little vague when it comes specifically to 1st gen chevy II's, and Right Stuff makes no mention of offset or track width on their product listing. :unsure:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Give CBR a call, it sounds like RSD lists it wrong. Chuck says he measured them himself, otherwise he wouldn't be selling them as zero offset.
Wellllll CBR has $100 shipping on these kits... So no dice there, unfortunately.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wellllll CBR has $100 shipping on these kits... So no dice there, unfortunately.
Call Right Stuff Detailing directly. they make the kit. I called tech support & spoke to Ed...very helpful! & free shipping also. Just have a pen & paper he talks fast lol good luck. BTW same price as Summit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts