Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would you take for it... just trying to get a feel for what its worth... I'm getting feed back from friends that the motor is worth 3,000.00 to 5,500.00 no less this is in running condition 1970 , fresh rebuilt with a small cam lifter kit, I do not know the exact spec of the cam.. the engine is the 454 in my Nova ... and I've decided that I am going to put my dream motor in this car instead of the big block. I'm not looking to get rich from this motor but I do want a fair market value for it, in a hour or so I'm going to get my first offer ...I'm thinking the guy is going to go cheep on me being that he already owns about 15 big blocks from 396 -427- 454's but there are 2 other peoples who want to take a look and make an offer and like I said... I 'd like to get a fair value.. without feeling like I riped someone off. how much would you say this running 454 with fresh rebuild , small aftermarket cam, edelbrock intake and holley 650 carb is worth? Thanks for info.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It all depends on what was done during the rebuild. Stock rods? Forged pistons? Balanced? File-fit rings? what heads? and what does the buyer plan for it? take me for example. If it's a standard type rebuild, with alot of stock parts reused, I'd give you about $1500.00 for it. Now if it was just for a driver I was building, I may go $2000.00 To get me to pay above $3000.00 for it, it better have receipts for stronger rods, balanced bottom end, forged pistons, you better have all the clearances documented with work sheet and balance sheet, and good factory heads. If they are the ovals, like the 049/781, I'd expect them to have had the larger valves installed already. IMO.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It all depends on what was done during the rebuild. Stock rods? Forged pistons? Balanced? File-fit rings? what heads? and what does the buyer plan for it? take me for example. If it's a standard type rebuild, with alot of stock parts reused, I'd give you about $1500.00 for it. Now if it was just for a driver I was building, I may go $2000.00 To get me to pay above $3000.00 for it, it better have receipts for stronger rods, balanced bottom end, forged pistons, you better have all the clearances documented with work sheet and balance sheet, and good factory heads. If they are the ovals, like the 049/781, I'd expect them to have had the larger valves installed already. IMO.
Hear ya, as I said I knew he was going to go cheep on me and I heard his offer and just left... he called me heard I had it, told me to come by wanted to make an offer... I had some time on my hands and posted this message on here to get truthful ballpark value.Couple guys at work gave me the 3 - 5 thing and I thought that was steep. however this dude thought 800.00 and a gutted 350 would buy this motor... I thought he was freaking kidding me, and if this is how he came into all the other BBC he has... the ppl lost their meth and crack addicted minds he bought them from. It will be a boat anchor before he'll ever own it now.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Hear ya, as I said I knew he was going to go cheep on me and I heard his offer and just left... he called me heard I had it, told me to come by wanted to make an offer... I had some time on my hands and posted this message on here to get truthful ballpark value.Couple guys at work gave me the 3 - 5 thing and I thought that was steep. however this dude thought 800.00 and a gutted 350 would buy this motor... I thought he was freaking kidding me, and if this is how he came into all the other BBC he has... the ppl lost their meth and crack addicted minds he bought them from. It will be a boat anchor before he'll ever own it now.
I would think it should bring $1500 for a run of the mill 454. By the way what gutted 350 did he have to think it would make up the difference. Sounds like he may be on crack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts