Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went to the track for the first time and had a pretty good day. Didn't do any tuning, just got used to the car and track. Everything worked pretty good but of course I have to believe there's more in it. At least no glaring problems to fix.

So this weekend I'd like to see if I can get a little more out of it. How's this sound for a plan?

1. Make first run with everything the same to establish baseline. Stop on return road and check plug just to see which way to go when I get to jetting. I think it's pretty close based on being fairly clean and consistent the first time out, just not perfect.

2. Second pass, change from 4 hole spacer to open spacer. I figure this is a good place to start. Either it works or it doesn't. Go with the best the rest of the day.

3. It's currently locked out at 38 degrees. Try 36, if it improves, try 34, if not, try 40 and so on until I have a clear optimum setting.

4. Jetting, up or down depending. Do I change front and back together or just one or the other?

Does this sound like a reasonable plan or am I all wrong? Here's a link to my thread about the first time with times and setup if you're interested.

Any constructive advice will be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Mike

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116430

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John, you're right. Air pressure was the only thing I played with last week and it seemed to be working "okay". This week I'm planning on trying to keep my burnout and starting line technique as consistent as possible for the other adjustments.

Of course if my 60 ft's go out the window my whole plan is shot.

I know ideally, you want to make one change at a time. But since tire pressure is mainly 60 ft and the other is mile per hour, can I make adjustments to both without invalidating both?

By the way, this stuff is addicting, I can't wait to get back out there!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I stated this on another thread, but it could apply here too. It might be beneficial to change a plug right before you run and take it out right when you pull off the track. You don't need to put in a new plug each run, you can use the same one every pass, but it is important to put it in right before you make a pass and take it out immediatley after the pass--I know of some people that put the car in neutral at the finish line and turn the motor off and coast off the track, so that the idling time on this plug is minimal. I've learned that everyone has their own way/ideas for tuning--this is just my opinion based on my experiences.
Of course if my 60 ft's go out the window my whole plan is shot.
This is correct, unless you are spinning the same every pass. At my local track, the track is not prepped for t&t days :mad: but I usually (and hope to) spin the same each time so that even though the 60's aren't the best, they are consistent. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
might try ,,

you might try the 4 hole on top of the open spacer too , take some 5/16's all thread and make the studs

looks like to me the car is doing great though with that gear. I'd get rid of some of that front wheel travel IMO and see if it picks up or slows down or gets more consistant.

If you do decide to reduce jetting , do it on equal amounts front to back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts