Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Doing a auto to 4 speed conversion...
I have console & buckets and going to use a Hurst Comp shifter...
I want a stock appearing shifter "handle/stick"...

I would love to see some pics of this set up as it came from the factory...
I have seen these "handles/sticks" online before that bolt to the Hurst and look exactly like the factory issue.....
Does anybody know who sells these..?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
best bet is to always start with the catalog...

I checked the online catalog and it says this...

"Chevy II & NOVA 64 with and without console Muncie (451) 391 7308 373 3163
65-67 with and without console Muncie (451) 391 7308 373 4354
68 with console Muncie (451) 391 4339 373 4529
68 without console Muncie (451) 391 6848 373 4529
69-70 without console Muncie (451) 391 6848 373 7131
71-73 without console Muncie (451) 391 6848 373 7834"

No listing for a 72 with console.....

Is it in the catalog you are showing...?
I can't make out what is says on your attachment...too blurry even with my glasses on...sucks to get old! LOL
Thanx for your help! :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here's a couple pics of a 72 with 4 spd and console. I'd like to know this also to make my T56 conversion look factory. Jeff

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a couple pics of a 72 with 4 spd and console. I'd like to know this also to make my T56 conversion look factory. Jeff

Thank you Jeff.....are you saying that this stick that I am seeing is not stock...?

Also I did not know that the 72 had the "Vega" style steering wheel...hhmmm?
Although mine is very original in appearance, someone had swapped the steering wheel out to an aftermarket type....interesting....
Thanx again Jeff!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thank you Jeff.....are you saying that this stick that I am seeing is not stock...?
As far as I know this is a factory stick. This was at the 2005 Nova Nats in Iowa. I think the part # for the stick that you would need is 538-4106. The Hurst catalog say's this is the one for a 68 with console, I can't see it being different for a 72 when they use the same console. Here's a link to the different stick's they carry. Go to the last page of the catalog. Jeff

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/catalog/

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As far as I know this is a factory stick. This was at the 2005 Nova Nats in Iowa. I think the part # for the stick that you would need is 538-4106. The Hurst catalog say's this is the one for a 68 with console, I can't see it being different for a 72 when they use the same console. Here's a link to the different stick's they carry. Go to the last page of the catalog. Jeff

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/catalog/
Thanx a lot...that appears to be the one :)
I am having trouble finding an install kit as nobody (including Hurst) shows a kit for a Nova WITH console for anything other than a 1968.....?????
Like you "I can't see it being different for a 72 when they use the same console."????
They all list kit #373-4529 for a 68 WITH a console.....I tend to think that is the correct one....
Anybody know for sure...?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx so much for all your help guys....

I guess the bottom line is Hurst does not list a shifter for a 72 with a console..

They show for a 72 without console and the years surrounding 72 with console but NOT 72 WITH console.....

I was under the impression that all 3rd gens shared the same platform and would never had guessed that there would be more than two set ups for it...
One for a console and one without...period...
What the heck is so different between these model years that would require a totally different shifter for these very similar years for crying out loud!?!

Jeeze...all I want to do is put a darn shifter in my car and Hurst has it so confusing that I can't even figure out what to buy! I am getting very discouraged!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All I want to know FOR SURE with absolute certainty is the part numbers for the correct SHIFTER...HANDLE & INSTALL KIT FOR A 72 WITH WITH A CONSOLE...

Hurst does not list a shifter for that application in it's catalogs....
They show for a 72 without console and the years surrounding 72 with console but NOT 72 WITH console.....

If floor pans are all the same why aren't the shifters all the same...? This doesn't make sense!

Here is what I believe to be true so far but I am not sure...

Handle...538-4106

Install Kit...373-7131

Shifter...Either 391-7875 OR 391-4339 ???

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...Crash and I have talked and according to him, the answer to my question is very simple....
Hurst never made an install kit for a 72 Nova with a console...period
It's that simple....

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK...Crash and I have talked and according to him, the answer to my question is very simple....
Hurst never made an install kit for a 72 Nova with a console...period
It's that simple....
I wonder if it is because the 72' came with a saginaw, not a muncie?(just a thought):confused:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt be surprised if that was the year it changed, after all they stopped putting 12 bolts in them in 72 also.

cant you just look up the part #s for a 71 if you have the Muncie?
Honestly I am totally confused at this point other than to say that those who seem to know say that Crash is the man with this sort of stuff and he says no, at this point that is all I know....

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The aftermarket is terrible for sorting out the shifters, I've even called them directly and they ask me if Dodge made the Nova!:eek:

From what I understand 1969-72 Muncie, and shifter parts will all interchange. 69 Camaro are also the same as 69-72 Nova WITH console only.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Didn't the SS come with a Muncie?
First off, what type of trans are you installing?? 72 Nova SS's had a saginaw transmission only.I have a Hurst comp.plus setup in my 72 SS,but it's a bench seat type,so thats what i think Crash is talking about when he said they didn't make one for a saginaw with a console.The console shifter must be different between a muncie and a saginaw trans.If you are installing a muncie then there should be no problem getting a comp plus setup for a console.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1968-74 Nova floor pans and shifters are based off of 1967-68 F-body's...

All 1968-70 Hurst Nova shifter (W&W/O console) used Hurst shifter mount #117-5284, this is the same mount used in 1967-68 F-body's...

The mount bolts between the trans mount and the tail housing, and has a U-bolt around the seal area at the end of the tail housing...

The 117-5284 shifter mount only works with the 27 spline output Muncie tail housing...

1971 thru the end of Muncie production use the 32 spline large output tail housing that's 3/4" longer than the 27 spline tail housing, and larger O.D. at the seal area of the housing...

I've been building custom shifter mounts for large output Muncie trans into early car that never had them (1969 Camaro, 1966-67 Chevy II, and others)...

Right now on my surface plate I have a 1967-68 OEM Camaro shifter, a 1967-68 Hurst after-market, and a ST-10 to fabricate a shifter mount that will fit 1967-68 Camaro, and 1968-74 Nova with large output Muncie/ST-10...

Hope this helps... Crash

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

All 1968-70 Hurst Nova shifter (W&W/O console) used Hurst shifter mount #117-5284, this is the same mount used in 1967-68 F-body's...

The mount bolts between the trans mount and the tail housing, and has a U-bolt around the seal area at the end of the tail housing...

The 117-5284 shifter mount only works with the 27 spline output Muncie tail housing...

1971 thru the end of Muncie production use the 32 spline large output tail housing that's 3/4" longer than the 27 spline tail housing, and larger O.D. at the seal area of the housing...

I've been building custom shifter mounts for large output Muncie trans into early car that never had them (1969 Camaro, 1966-67 Chevy II, and others)...

Right now on my surface plate I have a 1967-68 OEM Camaro shifter, a 1967-68 Hurst after-market, and a ST-10 to fabricate a shifter mount that will fit 1967-68 Camaro, and 1968-74 Nova with large output Muncie/ST-10...

Hope this helps... Crash

Thanx Crash....appreciate you setting the record straight...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

The Camaro tunnels were square and the Nova was rounded, even the console braces are different. My 69 console car and 69 non console car shifters, will not interchange from car to car.:no: The console car shifters are center like the Camaro, and the non console cars sit significantly to the left in the tunnel.

Non console shifter Nova, this will not fit an F body car

Console shifter, this will fit both the Nova and F body 67-69, you can see how this is centered over the tail shaft to come up through the console.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts