Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, heres the deal. My name is Sgt Martin Quinonez. I have spent the last year in iraq. I was injured in line of duty and was the result of hostile action. After sustaining my injuries I was medivaced to the states for surgery. I am now thankfully back home with my family. As a result of my injuries I may be getting a settlement. With a part of this settlement I will be embarking on a quest.... Something I have wanted to do all my life! Restore a Chevy Nova!!

I need help with some decisions and or ideas. I've determined the model I would like to restore, and decided upon a level of restoration. Driver -- A less expensive and less time-consuming restoration. I want to begin formulating a budget. I am thinking around 15k. My budget should allow the level of restoration I'm after. From what I can tell from this site, there are alot a seasoned resto-rod vets. Here are some of my questions.

1970 Chevy Nova!!!

#1 What would you do if you had 15k to dump into your Nova Project.
#2 383/chevy? Slant 6? What type of engine?
#3 What could be done to modernize?
#4 Certain powertrain, suspension, electrical and heating/air conditioning systems
#5 What is most important to dump the money into?
#6 Hits or misses Trials & Tribulations?

Thank you so much for you responses, they really do mean alot to this 28 year old vet! :chev:

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
are you thinking of dumping 15K into a car after its bought, or finding one for that price..

if you have a 15K can be blown in just few days depending on where your at with your car..however you can find some nice cars for that price..

just curious

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found a 70' for 3500. That is in very nice condition. To answer your question, I will be putting the full 15k into it after it is bought.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome to the site Martin, and you have my respect for defending our freedoms. :)
I think a lot of setting a budget will depend on what all you can and/or are willing to do yourself. Paint is a good example. You could allot $5k for a good paint job or you could allot $1k for it and do it yourself. Personally, I prefer to do stuff myself, whether Ive ever done it or not. Myself, Id plan on investing a good portion of my budget into good, quality tools, and then doing most of the work myself. Of course, you hafta have a place to do the work, the equipment to do it, etc, etc, etc. Otherwise, you couldve just bought a $15k car ready to drive. You can probably set most of that money aside for the drivetrain, since thats the most important part. The faster you wanna go, the more it costs :D
Id definitely put in some subframe connectors and rebuild the suspension, which is relatively inexpensive but pays great dividends, as far as handling and safety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks CDJr, I am willing to do all of the work except for the paint. However I will sandblast the car before the paint, myself.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Actually, sandblasting an entire car is overrated and rarely necessary IMO. Why dont you wanna attempt to paint it yourself, if you dont mind my asking? Sure, its down to an art form these days, but Im convinced that with the right equipment and a lil practice, even I can do it. :D If you have a place to do it, then have at it! Itll sure save you a lotta money too. Do you have any pics of this 70 you found?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not that I mind paint it myself, its that I have a friend in the biz who can work miracles! :) As soon as I take possesion I will post some pics. Thanks again, CDJr.

Here is the engine I am thinking of picking up:

Cost: Est $5,500

Chevy 383 SBC 500hp 100% complete
COMPUTER BALANCER HOLLY HP , Edelbrock head,ARP
350 engine bored .030 over, stroked 400 crank 4 BOLT MAIN, COMPUTER BALANCED, ROLLER ROCKERS
Comp cam 507-510
Seal Power/ KEATH BLACK hypereutectic flat top pistons and rings.
COMP CAM LIFTERS
Clevite 77 main & rod bearings.
Durabound camshaft bearings.
Dynagear 3pc. dual roller timing kit.
ARP rod bolts & nuts.
Brass freeze plugs.
Fel-pro full gasket kit.
Melling high flow oil pump, pickup tube and drive-rod.
Melling hardened push rods.
GM retainers & .060 up valve locks.
ALUMINUM HEADS CNC ported eldebrock preformer RPM heads ,10.0-1 compression, 2.02int./1.60exh,
Eagle forged press pin 5140 I beam rods
Aluminum roller rockers
Eagle forged steel crank

Extras:
HOLLY HP 750 carb
MSD high performance coil in cap distributor.
Professional Products Air Gap intake manifold.
Pioneer harmonic balancer and flex plate.
Chrome timing marker.
Taylor high performance wires.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
DV8Nova said:
#1 What would you do if you had 15k to dump into your Nova Project.
My car? well I would do a rear end chassie swap and pant the car.

#2 383/chevy? Slant 6? What type of engine?
The 70 Nova came with a 307 and 350 if its a SBC
#3 What could be done to modernize?
Front brakes or the whole clip
#4 Certain powertrain, suspension, electrical and heating/air conditioning systems
too much here to say
#5 What is most important to dump the money into?
Safty
#6 Hits or misses Trials & Tribulations?
What ever you 'think' the budget is double it and add 15%

Thank you so much for you responses, they really do mean alot to this 28 year old vet! :chev:
What ever you 'think' the budget is double it and add 15%

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
how is the body on this nova?? make aure the quarter panels are in good shape..ive bought 3 arizona novas and 2 of them needed both sides reworked..l

ike to see you out on the streets soon..if you need paint work done let me know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts