Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Engine mounts, floor shifter ( to fill the hole in your floor), some extra wire (your alternator will now be on the other side of your engine bay so you'll need to splice in longer wire)
New exhaust, depending on the original size of your gas line coming from your tank and the fuel demands of you new carb, you may want to put in the larger sending unit from your tank and the larger fuel lines to your fuel pump.

And get ready to make a lot of trips to the hardware store, go ahead and replace all of the hardware you take out with grade 8 new bolts, it is a pain, but it is cheap and worth it.

You may also need new front springs depending on the condition of your old 6-cyl springs, but this wouldn't be a MUST just a choice depending on your ride height with the heavier engine.

There are some good links on-line for this conversion...overall it is not hard..a great way to learn about your car....and fun!

Oh...get an engine hoist and leveler if you don't have one..also see my website for photos, just click on my user name at the top of this reply and go to my info page and click on my website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
we just finsished ours 1971, was 6 cyl. with power glide. went to 350 crate motor, and 200r4 overdrive trans. the hardest part for us was to change the engine mount to frame brackets, parts are cheap enough, but coil spring removal is necessary to get to bolts as the are in the pocket that the coils set in. your in nor cal, stockton jim dyer classic chevy has them for 40. or so. besides the obviuos other parts that make the engine a complte unit, you will need a longer accellerator cable (orderded mine from kragen, just tell them a 75 v8 nova, as their book, computor doesnt show anything earlier. it fits perfect. new radiator, hoses fan, etc. go to pick and pull for accesories such as transmission dip stick tubes, misc brackets, etc, after market stuff will kill you in the wallet. drive shaft should work, cross member for trans, not sure, i have my original if you want it (we are in merced ca) if you dont use a floor shifter, you may need a new steering column, we used lokar brand shift linkage, good stuff. run a new wire from accesory to dist power on electronic ignition (gm distributor) as your old coil feed wire may be like ours was, it had a resistor wire in line to drop the voltage to old point type ignition. we are using a 1 wire alternator, wire runs to battery positive cable, starter connections are the same. let me know if i can help you with anything, good luck, it will be worth it when your done, louie

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
NovaNate said:
floor shifter ( to fill the hole in your floor)
He didn't specify if it was a column shifted car or floor shifted....you have a choice of one the floor or on the column...

I'm suprised there's not a pre made topic on 6 cylinder to V8 conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts