Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a tci front clip in my 63 ss hardtop , it had the original 6 in it but i cant recall the alternator setup, anyhow i am installing an hei and a 1 wire alternator, where do i begin to start as far as wiring the hei and my new starter and how do i know what wires need to go to the battery which i mounted in my trunk, any help would be great, also do i need to use the voltage regulator cause my new alternator is internally regulated and if not what do i do with the old wires, i am lost here so your help is great, thanks

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Not shre if I'm much of a help but here goes. On the 62 I replaces the generator with a standard GM internal reg alt. I simply traced the wires to the voltage reg. found out what was not needed removed them. I looped the red wire to the BAT. terminal. I then ran the wire around the core support back to the bat. cable and the brown wire to the gen light this basicly follow the factory routing. As far as HEI goes run a 12volt wire directly to the coil, make shure there is not aresistor wire as HEI req a full 12 volts
Here is a pic that might clarify a little

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply but im still a little lost, do i need to keep the regulator or can i get rid of it and just use whatever wires go to it just re route them for the ones i need and lose the others, all i really want to do is just use the 1 wire that goes from the alternator to the battery but what do i do with the wires that go into the regulator

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Remove the regulator and all wires that are not needed. It will clean up the core support nicely. If memory serves me correcty I had to run a wire to the horn relay. I will check in the morning and get back to you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took my 2 front wiring harnesses and looked them over to compare to factory schematics, needless to say i am lost, if my alternator is only a 1 wire, do i only run the 1 wire from the alternator to the battery, if i dont use my horns do i need to run the horn relay or can i get rid of it altogether or does the horn relay use a power wire for something else, what wires do i need to run to the starter, do i need to run a wire from my hei to the starter, i wish i had a wiring guru close to me so i can have them take care of it

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flyer, thanks for the link, i looked at my alternator and it does have those 2 plugs coming out so i thank you for that, now onto the starter andthe hei, any takers on those 2, i know the starter needs a main battery cable, do i send a line to the hei , and on the hei what do i need to hook up for wires, thanks people you are really helping me a bunch, wiriing is new to me, thanks for the feedback

·
3,874 Posts
The wire from the starter to the distributor is for a points system to send full voltage to the distributor during starting only. If you install the HEI you do not need this wire anymore and as 1963DUCE100 said, make sure you replace the resistor wire from the fuse block to the distributor with a plain wire (I believe 12 ga is the right size).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts