Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am deep into swapping a 468 bbc into a 72 nova. I have the frame stands for the big block installed (oer k701 for a 69-70 camaro) and a th400 crossmember (oer part # 3912573) i tried using the rubber engine mounts i bought from a local parts store, (i believe anchor 2283) they had to be slightly modified to fit, the holes for the long bolt needed to be slotted slightly because the mounts bottomed out on each other before the holes lined up. Not happy with that, I tried using moroso solid mounts (part # 62510) now it seems the motor is lower in the front than before, the oil pan is touching the sway bar (1-1/4" diameter) and the valve cover interferes withe the brake booster even more. It was just touching, now i can not reinstall it. The booster is an 11" unit from cpp that came with the four wheel disc brake kit that is installed on the car. If I were to use shorter valve covers I would have plenty of clearance, but I need to run the taller ones for rocker clearance (and I really like the as cast Chevrolet racing covers I have:D )

What i need to know is, which motor mounts do I need that work best for the frame stands that I am using (prefer ureathane), Do I need to swap to a smaller booster, if so what size, and is the cross member correct?(it seemed to line up with both types of engine mounts, the rubber ones were slightly better)
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Are the frame stands on the correct sides? They should hangoff the back of the sub-frame a couple inches.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Did you buy the engine mounts for the 69-70 camaro big block?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I put a bb in my 74. Without having to change mounts. I'm using tall covers with an 8" double diaphragm from cpp.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I run tall covers with my BB, but under load it does touch the booster. I put a small dent for a little extra clearance. The engine should sit 1" to the passenger side with the correct mounts. These pics are of an original 69 BB car.

Frame stands

Engine mounts, I don't have the part number though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sbc1320, yes the frame mounts are for the 69-70 model.
Taz3, when I had the modified rubber mounts installed, my engine sat very similar to yours, the valve cover was just touching the booster. Do you remember what brand your urathane mounts are?
Thanx!

·
14,584 Posts
I used Energy Suspension urethane mounts in my 69 BB and my 72 SB cars. They were both the locking style mounts.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Taz3, when I had the modified rubber mounts installed, my engine sat very similar to yours, the valve cover was just touching the booster. Do you remember what brand your urathane mounts are?
Thanx!
Sorry they came with the car, already unwrapped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang, thanks for the reply anyway. I found something new that might be part of my problem, I am putting a 200 r4 tranny in the car that has a very large after market pan on it, and it is resting on the crossmember, causing the motor to be high in the rear. ARRRRGGGGGGGGG! this thing is trying my patience. I am going to pull the crossmember out and notch it to see what that gets me, I think I will still get a smaller booster for the extra clearance. I am still not sure on which engine mount to go with, I am leaning torwards solid.

I am still open to advice!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a 8" or smaller booster., g force makes aftermarket cross members I got one from them to put the 700r4 in my car.

The next pic shows my valve cover(tall) clearance with an 8" booster from cpp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics, I notched the crossmember tonight, it helped some, just not enough. I was trying to get this car hammered together for the car craft show in St Paul Mn, but I am out of time and patience, (still alot left to do) we might just go and look this year instead of showing a car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts