Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new rubber for my vent windows but having a bitchin time installing it. Hard to press the rubber into the channel. I’m using plastic tools to press them in from the edges but no luck. Trued using soapy water and even tried using cable ties to hold them in place while pushing the rubber in. No luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My glass man told me to use a little motor oil to slip glass into the channel. It worked for me on my nova and corvette as well.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I haven't had to do this either, however in the tire world, linseed soap works awesome to lubricate tires when mounting on wheels. I have used it in other applications where rubber needs to be lubed to fit as well. It is non-corrosive and washes off when finished.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
1,103 Posts
When I did mine I just put straight joy soap on them. Didn't mix it with water. Right out of the bottle.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Installing the rubber is the easy part.

Getting the glass positioned properly in the frames with the new rubber seals so they align properly when closed is even more challenging.

I take a bottle of dish soap and douse the rubber with dish soap. Load it on and smear it all over with your hands! Then I do the same to the metal frame. Then I give them both a light rinse leaving most of the soap on them and then rinse my hands so I can get a grip on everything.

After that you have several minutes to get the rubber in the metal channel correctly. You can even screw-up a couple times and remove the rubber and re-install it until you get it perfect.

The first time I did it was a little challenging but after that it has been pretty-easy. You have to force it into the corner first. Then do the rest.

Afterwards rinse the heck out of the assembly to get the soap out

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I got them in with help from all your posts. I put them in some hot water for a little while then I put some assembly lube on the rubber and started with the corner. Then I used the plastic trim tools to push in the sides a little at a time. It was easier but not easy!
Rob

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks all. I got them in with help from all your posts. I put them in some hot water for a little while then I put some assembly lube on the rubber and started with the corner. Then I used the plastic trim tools to push in the sides a little at a time. It was easier but not easy!
Rob
You have to hope it wont distort the rubbers. Certain greases will do that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bought new rubber for my vent windows but having a bitchin time installing it. Hard to press the rubber into the channel. I’m using plastic tools to press them in from the edges but no luck. Trued using soapy water and even tried using cable ties to hold them in place while pushing the rubber in. No luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob
I have done several of those and the best thing I’ve found is boiling hag water and spray silicone lubricant but they stil a pain in the rectum

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I still have my OG's that why i never replaced them nothing ever seems as good as the OG's a little dry rot isnt a big deal the car never in the rain my windshield rubber is also OG

·
Registered
71 Posts
I installed the reproduction seals but could not get the vent window to close. I eventually pulled it back apart and reinstalled one of the original vertical seals and the window closes fine now. Im
Glad that original seal was still in good condition.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I still have my OG's that why i never replaced them nothing ever seems as good as the OG's a little dry rot isnt a big deal the car never in the rain my windshield rubber is also OG
i'm pretty sure i have the original wing vent rubber seals in my 66. they look decent an seal well. wind shield rubber though is new, but original glass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree 100% I have tack welded the frames to get the rigidness back. Also I don’t want a car that’s had the 1/4 panels replaced. I don’t give a damn who does them the car is never like it was from the jump, the aftermarket parts never fit like the OG. Just my opinion. BTW I have passed on a few cars that didn’t have the serial number on the 1/4 panels. I would much rather have a properly installed patch panel.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
BTW I have passed on a few cars that didn’t have the serial number on the 1/4 panels. I would much rather have a properly installed patch panel.
Where are these serial numbers you are referring to on the quarters?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Are they the vin numbers. I found them but hard to tell what the numbers actually are.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I installed the reproduction seals but could not get the vent window to close. I eventually pulled it back apart and reinstalled one of the original vertical seals and the window closes fine now. Im
Glad that original seal was still in good condition.
I spent 4 hours today on my '72 today installing repop rubber on 1 wing window. After the fight I ended up with obvious gaps. The window moved ok but the seal is very poor, sending them back. I will be putting the originals back in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I spent 4 hours today on my '72 today installing repop rubber on 1 wing window. After the fight I ended up with obvious gaps. The window moved ok but the seal is very poor, sending them back. I will be putting the originals back in.
Get some made by precision or Metro they in my opinion are the best

1 - 20 of 21 Posts