Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
The book calls for 28-32. Stay closer to the 28 side. Then make sure you check the timing afterward. Dave

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Setting points brings backs this mantra I had to learn:

"Dwell effects timing but timing doesn't effect dwell."

I

·
0 Posts
30, NOT 28, NOT 32, NOT 287, not 17...30.

Set the dwell first, then the timing, while making sure the dwell stays steady. After 1,000 miles, reset the dwell...to 30 degrees...because the rubbing block on the points wears into the points cam. Timing should come right back when the dwell is returned to 30 degrees.

·
Registered
912 Posts
IgnitionMan said:
30, NOT 28, NOT 32, NOT 287, not 17...30.

Set the dwell first, then the timing, while making sure the dwell stays steady. After 1,000 miles, reset the dwell...to 30 degrees...because the rubbing block on the points wears into the points cam. Timing should come right back when the dwell is returned to 30 degrees.
I agree 100 percent. I ran points for a Loooong time in my 76 nova and always 30* then set the timing. After that as long as the points are at 30* the timing should be correct.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I think I still have a tach dwell meter somewhere but I sure haven't used it in awhile. Probably right next to my Mac Tool Corvair starter wrench which is next to my Snap On long handle fan wrench........LOL. The times they continue to change. RM

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DrDenny's 69 Rat said:
It can make for a bad hair day for the passenger.:rolleyes: :D
that and its been known to cause passenger seat stains too:eek: :D :)

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Now I remember why I converted to HEI!!!!! It was the damned seat stains!!:eek: :D

Randy (you can still get points??):rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts