Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 350 from a 1993 Suburban that will go in my 1970 Nova some day. It needs a starter and distributor. I was talking to a guy at a swap meet that sells starters, and he said I need to decide on points/condensor or HEI distributor before I buy the starter. He said the solonoids are different.
Anyways, what would you guys suggest:
1. Points style or HEI?
2. Manufacturer and model # if possible.

The motor will have a mild cam and 600 CFM carb.

Thanks in advance,

DAVES7DNOVA

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Why would you even consider points with the maintenance free pick ups available today? I prefer a pick up distributer with a separate coil myself but that's just me. Don't do points unless you are restoring something origional which had points. That's like doing brain surgery with a hacket......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
DAVES7DNOVA said:
He said the solonoids are different.
DAVES7DNOVA
Selonoids are different? Hmmm. I'm not expert, but when picking out my starters I've never heard anyone ask if I had HEI or Points. I guess the points needs the extra stud on the starter for the 12 volts that went to the coil when the key was in the ignition position...but you can still use that three-studed starter with HEI as well.

But anyway...ditto to the others....HEI all the way. Then just get any starter you want. There is a sweet ebay seller that seels high-torque mini starters for $65 and they work great ang give tons of new clearance for headers. They have great customer service too, I stripped out my first one because I had my plug wires on wrong and the engine was firing back into the the starter and they sent me a new one even thougth it was my fault! No problems since.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys!

Hey Nova Nate, can you give me any specifics on that eBay seller with the starters? I would like to check into that further.
Thanks,
DAVES7DNOVA

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
There is a difference in solonoids, some of the newer ones dont have the 4th post to give you 12 volts to the coil, on points style dist. as your cranking the starter.
As far as a dist I run MSD, have had no problems

Wade

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Your motor will not require any more than a stock starter. Why spend $100's when a $40 rebuilt will work well. The difference in the soleniods is the R terminal. All of the old type starter still come with an R terminal. The newer GM and other minis do not. Some of the mini starters out there are built in "other" countries and may not have a long life.

Dave builds a great distributor, I have one for my Nova. You will get more for your money with one of his small body units than any of the hi perf brands on the market. But again for your motor a stock HEI will suffice.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Philip said:
Your motor will not require any more than a stock starter. Why spend $100's when a $40 rebuilt will work well. The difference in the soleniods is the R terminal. All of the old type starter still come with an R terminal. The newer GM and other minis do not. Some of the mini starters out there are built in "other" countries and may not have a long life.

Dave builds a great distributor, I have one for my Nova. You will get more for your money with one of his small body units than any of the hi perf brands on the market. But again for your motor a stock HEI will suffice.
I'm running a stock GM HEI. Well OK, it's got an MSD module and Accel Super HEI coil ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts