Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 67 Nova 2 door that I am getting ready to start on and I want to order a mini subframe kit which needs to simply have the 4 control arms, bushings, ball joints, center plate, and the mounting hardware. I called CPP and they quoted me $700 :eek: for only those components which seems way to high to me. I was expecting to pay more around $500 (the sales agent told me they raised their prices).

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative way to replace my subframe without having to burn $700? I am also willing to consider getting used parts.

Thanks in advance. Dustin

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The biggest bang for the buck has always been to replace the lower control arms. The uppers, while not tubular are sufficiently beefy that they don't necessarily need to be replaced. Go to CPP's website and poke around abit. Take a look at the different options for this kit. You may find a way to tailor it to your needs/price.

Aside from that, Take a look at the Church Boys setup. That looks like a nice enhancement to the CPP idea.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
As a dealer for CPP I can tell you that the 6267TCA-ULK has never sold for $500 (from CPP). Their normal price has always been just under $700.

Just an FYI

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
The best bang for your buck is the CPP mini subframe kit as stated by chuckha62. I put that kit on my 63 and it made a huge difference in handling and feel......the best money spent on my car yet.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I just picked up a 67 Nova 2 door that I am getting ready to start on and I want to order a mini subframe kit which needs to simply have the 4 control arms, bushings, ball joints, center plate, and the mounting hardware. I called CPP and they quoted me $700 :eek: for only those components which seems way to high to me. I was expecting to pay more around $500 (the sales agent told me they raised their prices).

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative way to replace my subframe without having to burn $700? I am also willing to consider getting used parts.

Thanks in advance. Dustin
Like others have said...you only need the lowers.Its the best money I ever spent on my nova

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the mini sub with just the lowers

thanks for all the advice. based on popular opinion, I went ahead and ordered the min sub kit. I am going to keep my current uppper arms which sound like they will be just fine.

So the next project. I am going to do the disc brake conversion in the front and I wondered if anyone has done the junk yard rout where you get an adapter and use the brakes off a corvette or Mustang? CPP sells the conversion kit for $500 with shipping. Seems reasonable to me that I would be able to pull the brakes off a junk car and use them with some new hardware/adapters and be able to do it for half that $500 cost. This project is 100% my labor and learning so I don't mind putting in extra elbow grease to save $$. I have 20k to put into this car and it will end up with a blown motor so I would love to conserve money for the fun and expensive stuff :devil:

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
All I have to say is Church Boys Racing rack conversion, Chuck Church has a conversion that in my opinion is the best modification you can make to a nova:yes:the engineering is impeccable and installs in a weekend, you get much better alignment then you do with CPP stuff and his customer service is second to none.

http://www.churchboysracing.com/

·
Registered
508 Posts
thanks for all the advice. based on popular opinion, I went ahead and ordered the min sub kit. I am going to keep my current uppper arms which sound like they will be just fine.

So the next project. I am going to do the disc brake conversion in the front and I wondered if anyone has done the junk yard rout where you get an adapter and use the brakes off a corvette or Mustang? CPP sells the conversion kit for $500 with shipping. Seems reasonable to me that I would be able to pull the brakes off a junk car and use them with some new hardware/adapters and be able to do it for half that $500 cost. This project is 100% my labor and learning so I don't mind putting in extra elbow grease to save $$. I have 20k to put into this car and it will end up with a blown motor so I would love to conserve money for the fun and expensive stuff :devil:
i got my disc conversion for $350.00 and that came with new spindles,rotors,calipers,baking plates,dust shields,brake pads,bearings,all hard ware,and break lines. everything needed except the master cylinder. ill try and look it up to see who i got them from. i also orderd the same kit for my wifes 62!!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Recommedation for brakes & blown motor. Don't scrimp on brakes!!! Lots of options available, you can e-mail or call if you want to discuss the pros/cons.

Walt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts