Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Vert. For sometime now, the driver's door will lock itself. It does not matter how hard the door is closed it will randomly lock. I can open it from the inside or with a key it will lock. In a moment of lucid thought today I tried to lock the door from the inside and found pushing down on the inside door handle does not lock the door. Last time I had the interior panel off, I ran my hand across some of the inside mechanisms and did not find anything unattached.

What I am looking for is a diagram of the mechanisms inside the door so I can recognize if something is out of place or not attached.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
423 Posts
Doesn't look any different than a 3rd Gen. setup.

Calbigbird, you might find it easier to look at the 3rd Gen diagrams they provide. Look at the links just below what zduntov provided. The labels aren't reversed at least.
(Wonder how they did that? ....It does depict the Driver's side. Hmmm....)

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
I think that the issue might be in the latch. The lever on the latch that moves with the rod to lock it might be worn or loose.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, these diagrams give me at lease and idea of what things should look like in there. I will have to remove the door panel and see what I can find.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might have found the problem today. There is a small clip that attaches the locking plate to the back side of the door key lock which seemed to be very loose. After studying that for a bit I repositioned the clip where it would be tighter to the back of the door key lock. That little adjustment seems to have fixed the not locking from the inside problem and it hasn't randomly locked with closing the door - yet. Only time will tell. Thanks to all for the help.
Craig

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up, calbigbird.
Someone may refer to this thread down the road and knowing what the solution was makes the site worthwhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts