Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to get rid of this stock fan,any ideas,would like to stay mechanical,anyone know which type will pull the most air...thanks cranker

·
Registered
375 Posts
A shroud can make a night and day difference in cooling performance. If you want to change fans to improve cooling a shroud would do more than a fan change. The flex fan I showed you would scare me without a shroud!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sent you a PM cranker

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does your shroud go all the way around the fan or just the top half.so sick of dealing with this crap,just want to drive my car!can you by a shroud that will fit without a pile of work being involved??

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
A shroud can make a night and day difference in cooling performance. If you want to change fans to improve cooling a shroud would do more than a fan change. The flex fan I showed you would scare me without a shroud!
I 100% agree...you need a shroud.bm

·
6,404 Posts
The best mechanical fan I've ever come across is the GM flex fan as shown here(fan #3)
A shroud is the best possible part of the solution to cooling an engine. If you have to run without a shroud then a mechanical fan should be 3/4" from the rad to be the most effective. The futher away the lessit'll pul air through the rad. Fans not close enough to the rad will pull air from the engine compartment side.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123048

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I have a 7 blade that I can hear over my BB :eek: I expect to get out of the car and see the front end inside out one day!:devil: It works great!:yes:

PM Slickman, I bought it from him, so I'm not sure where it came from.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How much space should there be between the fan and the radiator? I have a shroud if you can call it that, some cute little chrome deal and a aluminum radiator but still tend to have temp rises on hot days in traffic or at long lights. I can watch the temp climb and hope the red light changes. I also added water wetter and it did help. Thinking of changing fans or maybe I need to move it forward with a spacer.

What do ya'll think
Scott

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My fan is 1/2" from the rad.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Flamed64SS, I went thru similar issues. I *thought the fan was correctly buried inside the shroud and it was the right stock fan...radiator was proper etc etc. Turns out that there was too much space between fan blades and shroud. One of our smart forum members figured this out. Runs within spec. now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Flamed64SS, I went thru similar issues. I *thought the fan was correctly buried inside the shroud and it was the right stock fan...radiator was proper etc etc. Turns out that there was too much space between fan blades and shroud. One of our smart forum members figured this out. Runs within spec. now.[/QUOTE

To much space between the shroud and the blades, did you install a larger diameter fan?

·
Registered
247 Posts
O.K., I measured the distance from the radiator to the fan blade on several of the blades. The average distance is 2", maybe a little more. I have a 2" spacer behind the fan. My question is does anyone make a longer spacer than what is offered in Jegs and is it safe to run one say 3" or longer? Could two spacers be put together to increase length? I think this would really make a difference in my cars temp to move the fan closer.

Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts