Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys or gals have any suggestions on where to find a 6 cylinder fan shroud? I have a 1964 Chevy II and kept the 6. Was thinking of running a pusher fan and a fan shroud to keep the 6 cool. The 3 core with stock fan off the water pump isn’t doing it anymore.

·
Registered
321 Posts
fan shroud

You will probably have to have one fabricated as they did not come on these cars as far as i know. you may be able to use one from a v8 engine but i'm not sure on the fit. You may just need to have radiator and block cleaned out.
I was having a over heating issue when i got my nova 7 years ago, cleaned radiator and it helped a little. Bought new aluminum radiator and put a 180 thermostat in it and it runs at 180 all day and will go to 190 at long red lights and this in in 95 degree heat in Louisiana.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 66 or 67 Nova with 6 cyl and AC got a formed plastic shroud. I've owned 2-3 over the years. I would make sure the radiator is doing its job correctly first; throwing more money at a bad radiator won't get you anything but a thin wallet.

I bought one of the 3 core stock radiators from Classic Industries and I never had any calling problems with a 10:1 six, solid cam, headers and 4 bbl.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
would you have any 'pick & pull ' yards around you ?

my Mom had a 62 Bel-Air ........ w/ A/C ......(283 motor).

those fan shroud's are metal & really 'round shaped' ........ I have always though those could be mod'd to make a good shroud .... too make fit.

my 69 250 - I 6 w/ac ....... there is no room too fit any thing in there, way too tight.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
my 69 250 - I 6 w/ac ....... there is no room too fit any thing in there, way too tight.
I have avoided trying to install a shroud in my 68 because the inline 6 just takes up too much room.

However, my son has a very thin shroud that he took off his 68 V-8 that looks promising.

May give that a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like your radiator is partially clogged. My '64 6 cylinder did not come with A/C or fan shroud. It keeps engine cool. When I add A/C I will have to replace radiator with lager radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts