Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a street/strip motor that has 450 hp or more but i have a budget of 6000 and im in Los angeles so i dont want to spend a ton of money on freight. but i want a quality engine with a warranty and it does not matter if it is a crate or a remanufactured.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Yearone.com sells a 350 that makes 400 hp for 3k. its the best deal out there imo.

and you could probably squeeze some extra horses out of it by adding a couple bolt ons.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
How about a 500+ h.p. 383"? It's not finished yet, waiting for the cam to be ground and head porting finished up. New 4340 crank, New 6" forged rods, New Manley forged pistons, New aluminum heads, 4-bolt main block, etc.........

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
what kind of bolt ons
eh. well it dynoed at 420 horse really so you would only need about 30 hp and i believe that could be achieved with a Fuel Injection set up and some nice headers maybe a cam??

why buy a motor you know nothing about compared to one you get a warranty with from year one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
that year one crate is from a company called rhino peformance. thats who makes t for year one
I have had that motor for about three years i guess it is now and its been great
i put a good champ oil pan on it and other then that havent done anything to the motor
in my nova 1974 hatch full interior no fiberglass car with a tko 5 speed and a 3.73 gear in the 10 bolt ive done a best of 12.3 at 110 with a junk 60 foot time of 1.9 on that pass i think it was
the engine makes plenty of power
oh yea thats with a set of headman elete headers the 1 5/8 tube into 2.5 magna flow exhaust with a edel 750 on top
its a good motor for what you pay and if you get it through rhino when i bought it anyway there was no shipping
josh

·
Registered
397 Posts
LS1, throw a cam and decent heads (should be able to get them for around $1000 for a good set of heads) on it and you will be near 450hp AT THE WHEELS.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Okay Al, now you opened the door! What's going to go in the engine bay to replace this one? You're hooking up with NOVACAINS builder aren't you? lol

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Okay Al, now you opened the door! What's going to go in the engine bay to replace this one? You're hooking up with NOVACAINS builder aren't you? lol
HA HA~!:no::no::no:

My original intent with this car was the 572 that was stolen. If I sell this engine,I will do the 572 or finish the 496 short block I have.

AL

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about a 500+ h.p. 383"? It's not finished yet, waiting for the cam to be ground and head porting finished up. New 4340 crank, New 6" forged rods, New Manley forged pistons, New aluminum heads, 4-bolt main block, etc.........
that sounds awesome r u trying to sell it or are you just finishing building it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that year one crate is from a company called rhino peformance. thats who makes t for year one
I have had that motor for about three years i guess it is now and its been great
i put a good champ oil pan on it and other then that havent done anything to the motor
in my nova 1974 hatch full interior no fiberglass car with a tko 5 speed and a 3.73 gear in the 10 bolt ive done a best of 12.3 at 110 with a junk 60 foot time of 1.9 on that pass i think it was
the engine makes plenty of power
oh yea thats with a set of headman elete headers the 1 5/8 tube into 2.5 magna flow exhaust with a edel 750 on top
its a good motor for what you pay and if you get it through rhino when i bought it anyway there was no shipping
josh
i cant find that rhino performance but its the same as year one, wait so you run that engine on 373 gears out of a 10 bolt?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HA HA~!:no::no::no:

My original intent with this car was the 572 that was stolen. If I sell this engine,I will do the 572 or finish the 496 short block I have.

AL
what are you running with the engine? and what rearend and gears are you running with it

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
LS1, throw a cam and decent heads (should be able to get them for around $1000 for a good set of heads) on it and you will be near 450hp AT THE WHEELS.
I'm with this guy, i'm doing an carbed 6.0 LQ4 that will put down 435-450hp to the wheels with with 5.3 heads cut for 5.7 int. valves (10.9:1 comp.) & custom spec'd cam.Then I i will be adding a 150 shot to it. I picked up the shortblock for $400, heads for 125 w/ rockers, vic jr for 285, holley 750 for 300, coils for 75, msd 6010 box for 350, you get the point. It is a pretty cheap set-up that yields great results. I am in the L.A. area too, i can hook you up with a friend who owns a scrap yard.
FYI, LSx series bottom ends are good too low 600hp levels w/ a simple rod bolt upgrade. Gotta love 6 bolt mains =) A nice set of 205 AFR heads will make GREAT power with the right cam. Give tony mamo over at afr a call, he made 550whp+ with a 383 LS1 in his vette.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My 2000 Z28 with a stock short block, 232/238 cam, ported 5.3 heads, LT headers, duals, and an LS6 intake dynoed almost 450rwhp with a 9" rear (eats a lot of power). I added a ported FAST 90/90 setup, roller rockers, injectors, and some tuning, but never redynoed. I am confident it was close to 500rwhp. I have an iron 6.0 LQ9 motor that is going in the 67 Wagon and an LS2-based 402 for the 66 Sedan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.