Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 307 went kaboomski after along weekend at the drag strip. and my trany went kaboomski with it at the same time. i have a 327 out if a 67 impala with factory 4br carb. does anyone know what power rating is on this motor. i also have a th350 with b&m shift kit and 2500 stall. do u guys think i should put this in my car. and if not what should i put in it. ohya the car has richmond 4.10s and a mini spool.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
The 67 Impala was offered with 3 hp ratings on the 327, 275hp, 300hp and 350hp. I am not positive but I think the 275 was a 2 barrel version so yours is probably either 300 or 350 but most likely the 300 hp version.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Is the car going to be a "track" car?? If so, then you might go with a larger engine. But, if the car is going to live most of its life on the street, then, the 327 is a decent motor to have. That block from the factory set-up had a variety of HP ratings to it, anywhere from 250, 300, 350, 365 and 375.

And since you own a 4th Gen car, I would opt for the 327 with some mild performance and an overdrive transmission to match up with the 4.10s you have in the rear diff..

IMO...

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I had put a 1967 327/275 in my '57 Chevy back in '73. it is definitely a 4bbl engine, usually a Quadrajet. 300 HP engines were built over the years with both Carter AFBs and Quadrajets. 250 HP 327s were put in Corvettes in the mid '60's and they were also 4bbl engines, again I believe, with Carter AFBs. The only 2bbl 327 I am aware of was the 210 HP version used in '67 and '68 Camaros and probably also full sized Impalas and Caprices, etc. I think the only differce between the 275 HP 327 and the 300 HP version was the camshaft as both had dual exhaust.

I should add that the 327/275 HP engine is a very good running engine, when in good shape. It had the medium performance heads (1.94 intake, 1.60 exhaust) and, if I remember correctly, 9.75:1 compression ratio. With a cam, a good intake, carb and headers, 350 flywheel HP is not out of the question on a solid short block. I would think that you will run out of steam early running 4.10 gears. If the engine is original and in good shape, do not even put in your car without at least replacing the timing chain and gears as the factory used nylon covered gears to reduce the noise but they were prone to failure.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Yes, I believe the 350HP, the 365 HP, and the 375 HP all had the same long block with the 2.02 heads. The 350 used the hydraulic cam while both the 365 and 375 had the solid cam. The 350 and 365 used Holley 780s while the 375 used the fuel injection.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would use what you got,Going from a 307 to a 327 will be a big differance to start with.Just dont go to big on the cam and you will be happy.I had one in a 1979 nova and it ran very good.It had the 202 heads and a towing cam and ran great a real fun car to drive on the street.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Driveline..

Don't guess on the motor, just check the front pad on the block for engine application and horsepower...then you will know for sure. If the engine is in good shape then check all the obvious maintenance items: timing chain/gears, pan gaskets and seals, maybe even throw a fresh oil pump in. If you are doing any upgrades eg. intake or cam, now is the time. A solid running 327 with a good hydraulic cam should give you decent performance..lighten up on the rear gears if you can..that 4.10 will make your motor work too hard...since you have these items already and provided they are in good condition why not use them..should be an easy fix. By the way never heard of "kaboomski" before...;)

good luck, wilma:shh:

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
That was my era, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts