Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
I've been waiting on a center section from Quick Performance for over 6 weeks now. They did say they were about 6 weeks out when I ordered it though so I expect it to ship soon.
Oh boyyy. I ordered mine online, so I didn't speak with anyone. I think the order sheet said 2 weeks but I doubt they update it with any regularity. It's probably a minimum of 2 weeks. I guess the good news there is that I'll have plenty of time to address the steering and the miscellaneous odds and ends for making the car street legal.

edit: Lee Power Steering doesn't bill until they ship. Classic performance doesn't expect steering linkage in until the end of this week, so I'll wait another week on that and it should land roughly at the same time as the power steering box...if not, I'll order the other deal from Hotchkis or whoever makes it. Nothing on Quick Performance, do not expect anything anytime soon. Pondering whether I should rebuild the steering column on the Nova at the same time that I do the steering stuff. I did one not long ago in a 77 Chevy pickup. It wasn't a huge deal.

References the same place where I bought parts from previously. I'm imagining it's pretty much the same overhaul procedure, probably even easier because I do not think hateful has tilt.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
June 7th, 2021
No real updates to speak of. I have an appointment with the DMV today to get the car (and my daily driver) registered. I've been rolling around "dirty" for longer than I'd like to admit. Primarily because I hate to take time away from work to go to the DMV and deal with all of the adult stuff. Secondly, the DMV was closed for a long while due to Covid.

With that, I'll need to do some non-performance-related-work on Hateful to get her up to state standards for safety. This includes installing the side markers, seat belts, maybe a mirror on at least the drivers side...although I kind of hate that. Wiper motor etc.

Here is a separate thread on questions regarding the side marker: Side markers

As mentioned, I ordered a Lee Power Steering box but I haven't seen them bill my credit card yet, so I'm not sure if a mistake was made or whether they don't bill until they ship. I'll call them today to find out because I don't really want to delay getting that bad boy in. I also need to check back on my order with classic performance because the steering linkage should be shipping pretty soon (it was backordered). If there are more delays with them, I might cancel that order and go with another vendor that touts improved steering with their linkage...I'd have to find them again, maybe it's Hotchkis or something and their linkage is pricey.

Still waiting on shipment of the rear from Quick Performance. 2 more days will be 2 weeks. I do have a question for anyone following this thread regarding the disc brakes in the rear. Here's a separate link for that: Rear disc brakes question

Basically, just wondering when switching from drums to disc in the rear do I need to run new lines, get a proportioning valve or any other stuff or is it plug and play?
Definitely not plug and play, may be able to use some of your existing lines and yeah, you'll need a different prop valve to make up the pressures and fluid volumes for the disk pistons rather than the tiny pistons in the drum cylinders. You'll need a new master cylinder too so all that works properly. For the lines, I'll bet the kit may come with the adapter but, you'll still need to revise the lines at the calipers as far as routing and flexibility goes. Not sure about the vacuum booster, that may need to be changed out as well. your kit should tell you what components you'd need to provide separately if it's the Pirate Jack setup... last I remember, they sent a list of parts needed but not included... (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
June 8th, 2021
Went to the DMV yesterday and got Hateful legal. Due to covid they are scheduling appointments a month out. The woman in front of me was trying to register 5 cars and they told her she could only do one. Sucks for me because I wanted to get my daily driver legal also. Because I'm a responsible adult and make the best decisions always, I registered the Nova. hahahaha. Applied for the vanity plate also so she has her name tag. The very unfriendly girl at the counter told me if my plate was rejected they would refund my money. What a surprise that the government wouldn't just keep it.

Decided to call the brake guys this morning (Wilwood) and ask them what I need to do for a master cylinder with changing the rear-end. I currently have 11" disc brakes in the front and I'm going to 11" brakes in the rear also. I was told that if everything is stock power brakes, I should just throw in a proportioning valve part #260-1489 OR #260-11179. I was told to find the diameter of the booster along with finding out what engine vacuum I have at idle. I was also told to measure the caliper piston size. I know at a minimum I'm going to need a new proportioning valve. I'm going to have to go check vacuum at idle and take some other measurements and go from there. It's one thing to be able to go fast but stopping is pretty important too...I think.

Still need to go out and figure out why the passenger side headlight is not working, replace the wiper motor and get that working and do the sidemarkers and stuff. It's been oppressively hot outside and ridiculously humid. I haven't wanted to do much of anything with the weather like this.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,120 Posts
Your DMV is CRAZY! I don't know what state you live in but if they are truly trying to combat Covid they should let you do all your business in one trip. Duh! At least you got the important car registered. Sounds like you are about to get the brakes figured out.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
June 9th, 2021
Definitely an "I hate this car" sort of day. Drove 3.4 miles to work this morning, everything was fine. Drove 3.4 miles home for lunch, stopped at the stop sign and then did my usual "jump on it" and everything was fine. Parked for lunch. Fired her back up to drive back to work and she sounded like she was running funny. Definite big time miss, running worse than she ever has and in a bad bad bad sort of way. Got to work and popped the hood thinking that maybe a plug-wire made contact with a header pipe and I didn't see anything that stuck out. I'm going to limp her home after work and I will have to figure out what is causing the problem. Auto teacher always said "you just need compression, fuel and spark." So I guess I'll be checking for those things.

Edit: received a piece of mail yesterday from my insurance company saying there was a mistake with my VIN, it's missing characters. I had to call them today about it to explain that I am indeed, not missing characters and it's a 13 character VIN. I ended up getting transferred over to American Bankers Insurance who insure collectors cars etc. and I got a quote on $15,000 coverage with all of the same liability as my regular insurance. $523 a year vs. $180. I signed up. I figured if something happens to this car, my insurance will probably cut me a check for $200 and walk away and I won't own another Nova in this lifetime.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
If you have a miss it's best to look for it at night so you can see something sparking. At least it worked for me when I had a miss
I'm recalling something I heard at some point about getting a spray bottle with water in it and mist the wires at night while it's running and look for "lightening" jumping around along the ignition wires. Perhaps I'll give that a go tonight. It would set my mind at ease knowing it's just an ignition wire. I did steal wires off of the 77 Cheyenne and I did notice they were a little beat up in places. Afterwards h8ful ran like a champ. God that would be terrific if it's nothing more serious than plug wires.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
be sure you use a light mist... and make sure it's not vodka! :p ;) I'm betting (and hoping) it's your wires too. Wires go bad without warning... and since these were off yet another vehicle with miles and heat, likely the culprit.
If it was going to be a grain alcohol, it would be bourbon brother and I wouldn't waste it on the plug wires! I might have to ingest some of it to maintain the patience for this thing.

June 10th, 2021
Ordered some odds and ends last night. Needed plug-wire crimpers. Figured they'd be a useful tool to have in the arsenal. I may have also ordered some new ignition-related parts with the thought that I can enjoy them now and they'll be useful when I throw the correct motor into this car. Little by little I replace the unknown origin crap on this car that is likely junk. I really should have taken a photo of the front shocks that I took off the car. I will at some point.

Also, no response whatsoever from Quick Performance. I sent them an email yesterday at the 2 week mark just asking what the turn-around is on this order and if they had any information about the specs of the calipers. I don't expect an immediate response but some response in the next couple of days would be really nice to build some confidence that they aren't some fly-by-night operation. Have not been billed for the new power steering box either so that hasn't shipped. Holding pattern.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
@unstable I hear ya, brother! Problems like this can lead a person to drink for sure! As for parts, always a good idea to order the good stuff if you can afford it. Can't hurt in the long run (you already know this by your build list :) ) As for the vendors, it's increasingly difficult to have an answer from most of the smaller vendors. I know Jegs has tech chat I use frequently and it's pretty much only about a 5-8 minute wait and you get a real person chatting online with you to check status and give answers. The smaller guys and gals don't have that and it's pretty much a skeleton crew ravaged by Covid then, the orders are getting insane and they just cannot possibly keep up. Hoping you hear soon... I'm experiencing that in my day-to-day inspections and reviews as I cannot possibly keep up this massive level of work load without breaking (something).

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
@unstable Sorry for using the F-word... I'm all about just boiling the hides and hotrods, not specific to any one make or model these days but... I hear ya :p (Virtual Bourbon on its way to you now ☕)
absolutely teasing brother. It's a cool truck. I am definitely partial to Chevy's but ultimately it's the love of cool cars that brings everyone together, there's no need for animosity or whatever because someone prefers Chevy over Ford or Dodge or whatever. I am really more about finding common ground with folks than I am about being divisive. I mean, so what that they put the distributor in the front of the motor? It's actually better for adjusting the timing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They should get back to you soon but I wouldn't get in too much of a hurry for that diff. I think they are pretty swamped. They didn't charge me shipping and I told them if they wanted they could hold onto the axles until the center section was done. They said they would rather send them out so they weren't taking up space in the shop. I have a feeling they are pretty swamped with work.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
@xxdabroxx thanks for the good news…I think. Lol.

June 10, 2021 evening update
So I did something I didn’t want to do. Thursday’s are my “free time” where the GF is away from the house. I went to the parts store immediately after work and purchased brake pads, oxygen sensors and a wire kit.
I changed all of the pads on a 2010 Subaru Impreza. I even got to use my fancy brake caliper piston tool that I bought especially for this occasion. My usual method of using a c clamp would have worked out just fine. O2 sensors another day.

before it started getting too dark I replaced the plug wires on the hateful nova. I absolutely, positively must ask anyone…primarily @Stroker Ace Ventura because I’m fairly confident he’s the only one who reads the crap I write…is cylinder number 5 an absolute butthole of a wire to put on with headers? I really hate this car. I almost feel like the headers that are on this car aren’t the right ones. That plug and wire is really, really challenging.

Is it possible that it sounds like it runs even better than with the wires I stole off of the Cheyenne? I think it just might. I really think it may.

complaints and stuff I need to do if I’m going to keep screwing with this motor: periodic backfire through carb. Very small. I probably need to jet it and honestly I’m going to have to research that. With the Cheyenne, if I jumped on it, it hesitated so I went up with accelerator pump jets and a cam a couple of times until it reacted how I expected. With this car, there is little to no hesitation BUT you can smell that she’s rich. That would mean…my best guess is that the accelerator pump jets are where they should be but the main jets probably need to come down. I guess what I’m wondering is, if you step down and keep stepping down, at what point do you know you’re where you want to be without being too lean?

I’m sure the Google machine has the answers

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
@unstable Bro, new wires are a good thing! Yeah, depending on the header brand, some are worse than others and #5 and #7 are typically a bad deal for power steering boxes and clutch linkage. A total PIA!! However, there are methods to correct that if you need to and it's been proven, the corrections don't do anything per the dyno click here to see the dyno results of a massive dent in a header primary There are many ways to correct clearance for header/plug wire and boot interface so... your imagination is your limitation... just do as little as you can until the desired clearance is achieved.

As for running rich, ya gotta get that ignition issue fingered out first so you burn ALL the fuel you can, THEN mess with the jetting. What air filter setup are you running? You may have mentioned but I can't recall. That plays a large role in rich/lean for carbs, especially Holleys and their metering blocks and float bowl vents. Plenty of others here that know way more about that tuning than I do but reading plugs is my tried and true tested method after the ignition system is vetted out thoroughly.

As for the sububoo... glad that was easy :) Those boxers are funny little motors for sure. I used to work on VWs for a living back in the '80's and learned a lot. Great concept, and they make neat air compressors too!

Hit us up with the questions, bro! We're all here reading them for sure. (y);):geek:

~Andy

·
Registered
203 Posts
On my car I have a hard time with spark plugs 1-8 LOL but I have 1-7/8" primary tubes. One thing that helps is make sure you put some dielectric grease in the plug wire ends. Otherwise they become nearly impossible to remove after a while.

Watch this for reading plugs.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts