Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Nova 350 700r4 12 bolt skyroof
26 Posts
remember, these cars can be off by 1/2" or more side to side from the factory on the clearance from wheel to wheel inside the fenders which can totally jack your spacing... Make sure you check that first before hacking or shelling out a ton of $$$
I'm glad to read that. I thought when someone put the 12 bolt in mine. They messed up.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
@Dirty Joe The 60's and 70's were not built on precision for sure! Quality control depended on how much whiskey was in your thermos after lunch... Subsequently, quality went down as moral escaped workers... Things got out of hand and, well, look at the K cars Lee Iacoca built in the 80's... The US auto industry crapped the heck out. There have been reports and other posts here on SNS where people have found 3/4"-1" variations in certain parameters including front subframe alignment from the factory... And these accounts are apparently not anecdotal, but actual verified accounts. Crazy crap outta Detroit and others. My 70 rear is off by about 3/8" but it's been beat to heck by the po, so no telling if that's abuse or assembly alcohol... Hahaha. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤡😜🤓

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
@RifRaf ordered some new j-nuts, I’m figuring the camaro j-nuts are interchangeable, that’s what came up when I googled. Thank you for the heads up.

@Dirty Joe that’s funny! It is a little scary when you think of it. You buy a new car and have faith and confidence it’s put together correctly and you don’t really think that the guys at the factory hate their effing jobs and are prone to mistakes like everyone else.

looks like I’ll be waiting to narrow this rear. I suppose that will be another phase I have not yet planned out. Since this motor seems happier and healthier with new wires, I’m likely going to have a blast when I get this new rear and suspension in. The steering is still sketchy but once that’s addressed I might just enjoy this beast for awhile before doing anything more.

·
14,497 Posts
@Dirty Joe The 60's and 70's were not built on precision for sure! Quality control depended on how much whiskey was in your thermos after lunch... Subsequently, quality went down as moral escaped workers... Things got out of hand and, well, look at the K cars Lee Iacoca built in the 80's... The US auto industry crapped the heck out. There have been reports and other posts here on SNS where people have found 3/4"-1" variations in certain parameters including front subframe alignment from the factory... And these accounts are apparently not anecdotal, but actual verified accounts. Crazy crap outta Detroit and others. My 70 rear is off by about 3/8" but it's been beat to heck by the po, so no telling if that's abuse or assembly alcohol... Hahaha. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤡😜🤓
Met up with a fellow a number of years ago who worked the GM assembly lines in the sixties. As we were frustrating over being unable to properly align a '63 hood and trunk lid, he wished us good luck. He said many of the cars coming off the lines in that era weren't square corner to corner and we'd likely never be able to align these panels perfectly. He said he knew of one car that came off the line with same color, but different design front and rear seat upholstery. It got all the way to the dealer before it was discovered. In 1965, I personally saw a new Impala SS in a local dealer showroom with a 327 emblem on one side and 283 on the other. In 1979, the stereo in my brand new Pontiac sounded awful. Took it to my dealer who called me back 15 minutes later saying it was fixed. Factory had installed the package tray speakers, but never removed the perforated knockouts so the sound could come through. Quality control was frequently non existent in this era.

Bob

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
@CdnL79 Registry yeah, that's pretty crazy! Even in the early 2000's, I went for a test drive in a Dodge Durango... Just for fun.. and it had 7 miles on the odo. Got in, started it... Starter had a bad noise... Went to adjust the rearview, it came off in my hand. Tried to adjust the seat, seat moved opposite of the switch direction (thinking some jokester did this to screw with consumers, this vehicle only) but really, our QC throughout the ages has really fallen to pieces... Some manufacturers more than others. We have the laser-technology but when it comes to verifying components working or alignment, the human touch is paramount. Some things cannot be fixed without starting over completely, or close to it. Our cars are no exceptions at times...

Cool story though!! I loathe aligning and adjusting hoods...

~Andy

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I have a 2016 Hyundai. At 30k miles the motor seized up. They never told me what the cause was, only that they determined it was defective and they replaced it under warranty.

Despite all of the advances in technology, automation and robotics, computers still need humans to see the world and it will be that way for some time into the future

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
As inferior as humans are in the animal kingdom, we have skills machines will not replace any time too soon... Not yet, at least... With as many vehicles built today, it's really amazing the low % of complete failures we actually see in the grand scheme of things. Millions and millions of parts, vendors, cars and trucks/motorcycles/atvs and most work just fine... For the most part. Glad it was still under warranty... Why I'm going with the BPE 400 power adder motor. 30k mi/5-year warranty can't be beat!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
May 29th, 2021
So I’m basically in a holding pattern waiting for the rear end to come in. After the encouragement of @Stroker Ace Ventura and getting the unknown 350 running about 50% better by investing a few minutes into diagnosing problems, I’m pretty happy with where things are.

One of my chief complaints since day one with this car is the steering. I figured replacing the control arms and steering linkage along with a new steering box would be the answer. I’ve done the front suspension, control arms etc. I have new steering linkage on order and I know without a doubt I’m doing the box, so I was researching it and came across this tidbit:

One more point of note: a steering box has no ability to return to center when coming out of a corner. That is a task for the frontend alignment where caster and kingpin angle cause the steering to return to center. Many early muscle cars came from the factory with very little caster and when you put a rack-and-pinion system in your ride you are actually taking away caster.
There are several aftermarket suppliers that sell upper A-arms that increase caster angle. Also, if someone has tried to take slop out of an old box by tightening the Allen stud on the top plate on the box, this can make the lash too tight and will create drag and hamper the return to center.
Worth noting for anyone dealing with steering complaints on these rigs.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
May 31st, 2021.
Memorial day. Enjoy the day off, enjoy the barbecue and your friends and family...but please take a minute and think of the countless number of Americans who fought and died. Today is about them and their sacrifice. Perhaps some day the world will be a place where war isn't necessary and everyone can look back on it all with disgust.

Today I decided to make an adjustment to the coilovers on H8ful. When I put it together, I had them bottomed out. It looked super cool but I think it was a bit too low. I spun the adjuster-dealies until it compressed the coilover about 1.5", dropped it down and it lifted the wheel well about 3" from where I started. I don't love it and I didn't expect it to lift MORE THAN 1.5", but here we are. Looking for opinions in this thread: Gen 3 + QA1 Pro Coilover Adjustable Shocks (or similar)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
June 1st, 2021
The spending continues. Ordered a Lee Steering box today. When I call these places I greet the person on the other end and tell them I want to give them money. I'm surprised that folks don't hang up thinking that I'm about to try scamming them. I will say the gentleman that I spoke with was pretty cool, he sold me a 12:1 box which is a faster ratio but stated that with the heavier valves, you get better feedback. He listened to my complaints and told me this is what I want, I hope he's right. New rag joint and such coming. The remote reservoir and their pumps are really cool and I'd love to have one some day but for now I'm going to hold off and put that one on my "wish list". 1.5-2 week turn around on the box. That should be in right around the same time as the steering linkage from CPP and between those parts the entire front suspension and steering will have been completely overhauled and upgraded. Waiting on rear from quick performance to bolt up the new Calvert rear suspension. Buy once, cry once for the next several years...but this is a one time deal that I've been waiting a lifetime to do.

I'll add that throwing 1.5" onto the front shocks has made a fair bit of difference in steering and drive-ability, but I will say she looks a little less cool. I suppose it doesn't matter how cool you look cruising down the street if your car drives like crap. I am definitely going to try dropping it 3/4" at some point but that'll probably happen at the same time that I rebuild the steering linkage and pop in this new box and rag joint etc. and send her for an alignment.

I actually expect the rear to be here before all of these steering components so I'm not sure what will happen first.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
June 1st, 2021
The spending continues. Ordered a Lee Steering box today. When I call these places I greet the person on the other end and tell them I want to give them money. I'm surprised that folks don't hang up thinking that I'm about to try scamming them. I will say the gentleman that I spoke with was pretty cool, he sold me a 12:1 box which is a faster ratio but stated that with the heavier valves, you get better feedback. He listened to my complaints and told me this is what I want, I hope he's right. New rag joint and such coming. The remote reservoir and their pumps are really cool and I'd love to have one some day but for now I'm going to hold off and put that one on my "wish list". 1.5-2 week turn around on the box. That should be in right around the same time as the steering linkage from CPP and between those parts the entire front suspension and steering will have been completely overhauled and upgraded. Waiting on rear from quick performance to bolt up the new Calvert rear suspension. Buy once, cry once for the next several years...but this is a one time deal that I've been waiting a lifetime to do.

I'll add that throwing 1.5" onto the front shocks has made a fair bit of difference in steering and drive-ability, but I will say she looks a little less cool. I suppose it doesn't matter how cool you look cruising down the street if your car drives like crap. I am definitely going to try dropping it 3/4" at some point but that'll probably happen at the same time that I rebuild the steering linkage and pop in this new box and rag joint etc. and send her for an alignment.

I actually expect the rear to be here before all of these steering components so I'm not sure what will happen first.
Like in shooting, keep a dope book of what works and what doesn't on your settings for tune and suspension. That way, you don't accidentally repeat something you've already tried that didn't work, and you can easily repeat what does. Fast reference and if you tab the book into sections (carb, ignition, plugs, suspension - and break each down into subcategories) you will thank yourself later when you're trying to remember what you did. As you say, buy once, cry once. Same goes for adjusting things.... It's an ordeal the first time but, if you already have it written, easily repeatable. Use a good steel ruler on your coilovers and take a picture of where you have the keepers set and what ride height you get from each setting after a good jounce on the bumper a few times for settlement. You'll enjoy your car so much more when you have an easy reference guide... I know I do/have.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
June 4th, 2021
I received some odds and ends in the mail over the past few days, side marker kit. Driveshaft loop from Chris Alston, still waiting on the actual g-connector deal. Waiting on new rear from Quick Performance and J-Nuts from some other company. I do need to slap these sidemarkers in along with installing the new wiper motor that came with the car. I've looked online and haven't seen much about the wiper motor installation so I'm open to any insight anyone following this thread has on the job.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
June 7th, 2021
No real updates to speak of. I have an appointment with the DMV today to get the car (and my daily driver) registered. I've been rolling around "dirty" for longer than I'd like to admit. Primarily because I hate to take time away from work to go to the DMV and deal with all of the adult stuff. Secondly, the DMV was closed for a long while due to Covid.

With that, I'll need to do some non-performance-related-work on Hateful to get her up to state standards for safety. This includes installing the side markers, seat belts, maybe a mirror on at least the drivers side...although I kind of hate that. Wiper motor etc.

Here is a separate thread on questions regarding the side marker: Side markers

As mentioned, I ordered a Lee Power Steering box but I haven't seen them bill my credit card yet, so I'm not sure if a mistake was made or whether they don't bill until they ship. I'll call them today to find out because I don't really want to delay getting that bad boy in. I also need to check back on my order with classic performance because the steering linkage should be shipping pretty soon (it was backordered). If there are more delays with them, I might cancel that order and go with another vendor that touts improved steering with their linkage...I'd have to find them again, maybe it's Hotchkis or something and their linkage is pricey.

Still waiting on shipment of the rear from Quick Performance. 2 more days will be 2 weeks. I do have a question for anyone following this thread regarding the disc brakes in the rear. Here's a separate link for that: Rear disc brakes question

Basically, just wondering when switching from drums to disc in the rear do I need to run new lines, get a proportioning valve or any other stuff or is it plug and play?

·
Registered
203 Posts
June 7th, 2021
No real updates to speak of. I have an appointment with the DMV today to get the car (and my daily driver) registered. I've been rolling around "dirty" for longer than I'd like to admit. Primarily because I hate to take time away from work to go to the DMV and deal with all of the adult stuff. Secondly, the DMV was closed for a long while due to Covid.

With that, I'll need to do some non-performance-related-work on Hateful to get her up to state standards for safety. This includes installing the side markers, seat belts, maybe a mirror on at least the drivers side...although I kind of hate that. Wiper motor etc.

Here is a separate thread on questions regarding the side marker: Side markers

As mentioned, I ordered a Lee Power Steering box but I haven't seen them bill my credit card yet, so I'm not sure if a mistake was made or whether they don't bill until they ship. I'll call them today to find out because I don't really want to delay getting that bad boy in. I also need to check back on my order with classic performance because the steering linkage should be shipping pretty soon (it was backordered). If there are more delays with them, I might cancel that order and go with another vendor that touts improved steering with their linkage...I'd have to find them again, maybe it's Hotchkis or something and their linkage is pricey.

Still waiting on shipment of the rear from Quick Performance. 2 more days will be 2 weeks. I do have a question for anyone following this thread regarding the disc brakes in the rear. Here's a separate link for that: Rear disc brakes question

Basically, just wondering when switching from drums to disc in the rear do I need to run new lines, get a proportioning valve or any other stuff or is it plug and play?
I've been waiting on a center section from Quick Performance for over 6 weeks now. They did say they were about 6 weeks out when I ordered it though so I expect it to ship soon.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts