Chevy Nova Forum banner
241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
July 11, 2021
Swapped out the silver springs for blue. Always an ordeal, one of the little plastic bushings that goes under the springs popped off and I spent an inordinate of time looking for it before finding and trying-assembling.

alternator sounds like the bearings are going.
Checked timing at about 2500 rpm and it looked to be 29 total in her. I didn’t spend any more time trying to get her perfect, just limited on time. Cleaned out the garage, parked her. Cut a new air filter stud down and installed a better air cleaner.

plenty of room to add some more advance to the mix. Truth be told the last time I was adjusting the timing I got absolutely lit up by that coil and I’m gun shy. 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Also: If you’re sitting in the drivers seat and look at the backside of a cowl hood…should you be able to see your air cleaner or should it look like this? (I can see the air cleaner through that little hole. Honestly I thought cowl hoods were open in this area…am I wrong?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,948 Posts
alternator sounds like the bearings are going.
Remove the alternator belt from the alternator pulley and turn/rotate the alternator pulley by hand. As you are turning the pulley, listen for any noises and/or feel for any "roughness". If there is no noise heard and the rotation of the alternator pulley feels very smooth, you could try changing your alternator belt to see if that helps before purchasing a new alternator.
Checked timing at about 2500 rpm and it looked to be 29 total in her.
Are you using a "dial back" timing light?... or a regular timing light with a degreed balancer?
When you checked the timing, was the vacuum advance disconnected?
Do you know what your initial timing at idle was (VA disconnected)? What was the idle rpm?
Did you try and rev your engine higher then 2500 rpm to see if there was still any more mechanical advance to be had (since you may not see total mechanical advance until 3000+ rpm).

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
yes it’s a dial back light. We brought the car up to 2500rpm and I dialed the light up until I was hitting on 0 and that was 29 degrees on the gun.
Vacuum was disconnected. I didn’t get the motor any higher. I believe my initial timing was at 9 degrees ‘ish. I say 9 because the idle is really loopy and the line bounces some or appears to on the balancer / with timing light flashing.

also when I had the fast idle issue, the alternator was screaming and it was chewing up the belt. It eventually blew the belt so I actually just put a new one On

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Got it. If the alternator is bad, probably best to get that taken care of before moving forward with other tasks.

With 9° initial and 29° of mechanical at 2500 rpm (20 degrees of mechanical advance), it looks like your advance is coming in much sooner with the lighter tension (blue) advance springs... that's a good sign.

Once you get your alternator taken care of, I think it would be worth advancing your initial timing to 14-15° BTDC @ idle (VA disconnected)... then re-connect your VA canister to a full time vacuum source and readjust the idle speed.
I think these steps will help wake-up your engine up.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
@RifRaf agree 100% on the alternator. Also, any recommendations on what to do with dialing a carb in? Ever since I got her, she smells rich, but there hasn't been any lag or hesitation in her when driving. There have been a few points in this odyssey where jumping on it at a stop sign left a little "squeeeek". With 29 total, that's not happening but she is finally running strong. I did notice that despite covering the new ignition wires in the 500 degree sleeves and then using the spark plug boots that there was a little smoke coming out of cylinder 6 boot. I don't know if it was just the stuff getting hot for the first time and burning off, whether there was some oil/other funk that was just cooking off or what.

The good news is that with the motor running well and not missing that I can move onto other things like "Project Legalize It!" and replacing the steering box and steering linkage.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
So Street Outlaws are going to be in the neighborhood this upcoming weekend (July 16th/17th) and because my work sponsors a racer there may be some perks. It'll be a cool outing, I haven't gone to any events for quite awhile. So I guess I won't be wrenching on H8Ful this weekend and instead will be watching some real fast cars and meeting some of the guys.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
HELL YES! Just don't stand anywhere near the midway point or the end on the run... y'know?!? Wayy too much action on that end of the stick and those cars are insanely fast... Wish I could be there hangin' watching them too. be one hell of a good time!!!
I have starting line access, access to the cast pits etc. outside of whatever special access I may get for being loosely affiliated through my job. A few years back one of the guys was here for a meeting. I don't really get start-struck by any of this stuff but I'm sure the GF will enjoy it. When I was maybe 16 years old, I really idolized this pro-powerlifter. I actually received an invitation to go to the gym where he trained and learn a few things. I went and it was a terrific experience...except for meeting the guy I idolized. I think it was at that point that I realized the person you should look up to the most is the guy in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Any recommendations on what to do with dialing a carb in? Ever since I got her, she smells rich, but there hasn't been any lag or hesitation in her when driving.
You want to get your timing set correctly (as previously mentioned) before you move on to carb adjustments (besides idle speed). When you advance your initial timing... and then readjust your carb's idle mixture screws as recommended, you may alleviate some of the rich smell.

Have fun at the Street Outlaws event!.... sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
821 Posts
@RifRaf agree 100% on the alternator. Also, any recommendations on what to do with dialing a carb in? Ever since I got her, she smells rich, but there hasn't been any lag or hesitation in her when driving. There have been a few points in this odyssey where jumping on it at a stop sign left a little "squeeeek". With 29 total, that's not happening but she is finally running strong. I did notice that despite covering the new ignition wires in the 500 degree sleeves and then using the spark plug boots that there was a little smoke coming out of cylinder 6 boot. I don't know if it was just the stuff getting hot for the first time and burning off, whether there was some oil/other funk that was just cooking off or what.

The good news is that with the motor running well and not missing that I can move onto other things like "Project Legalize It!" and replacing the steering box and steering linkage.
I noticed some smoke from plug sleeves when I put mine on also. After few heat cycles, haven't noticed it anymore.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
July 14th, 2021
Been out of town for a couple of days. My eldest son had a pretty major surgery so I made the 3 hour trek down to Mass to be with him. Ended up having to drive 3 hours back home the same night because of an incident with my butthole dog...then drove back down again. The only thing I have to report is that I laid eyes on 454. It's .080 over so that makes it what? A 472 or something? Also I think my new @DanyR LED lights showed up. Weather here has been crap but the car is in the garage.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 · (Edited)
@unstable careful, you'll go blind too... and that would really suck! :geek: :geek::p:poop:
I think that went over my head brother...I'm already pretty darn blind and wear some serious corrective lenses. Weather here hasn't been great and the past few days this week I've been wrapped up with the sons surgery. Anyone following the story, he's doing well. The surgeons basically reconstructed his knee or something and added some frankenstein cadaver parts in the way of tendons and grafting it onto his shin bone or something. Unfortunately I don't live with him or his brothers anymore since the divorce, so the information I get has quite a few holes in it. All that truly matters to me is that he's doing ok and thank you to everyone who sent some well wishes...your kid being hurt or sick has got to be one of the worst things you can experience in life.

I'm exhausted and have parts galore that need to go into the Nova. I think the next thing on the list is replacing the alternator and putting a little more timing into her and then working on project legalize which will include the new tail-lights and so on. I have to stay focused because I'm starting to lose track of where I am and what I need to do and in what order.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
@unstable my comment was in reference to touching things... turning to feces... y'know :p (what people's [young men] mothers would always yell at them about... trying to stay PG here...)

On to other things, glad your son is in recovery mode and yes, the worst thing is seeing your children hurt and not being able to do anything to quell it. Just be there for him as much as possible and be supportive... All you really can do and it sounds like that's just what you're doing. (y)

Nova things, make a list!!! Check each thing off the list as it is completed and it will give you some peace in your head as you go. Not trying to remember things, but as you go, write each thing down as it comes to you if there are things you forgot. It really does help in projects and take tons of pictures. Even if you don't think you'll need them, my credo is: "Better to have and not need than to need and not have". Two is one and one is none, brother! :geek:

~Andy

241 - 260 of 298 Posts