Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I *think* I have the coolant leak(s) fixed (knock on wood) after a second round of stop-leak. Small bit of leaking when I parked it yesterday, none today after a short trip.

Except...now I've got a fluid leak at the transmission, the cooler lines are leaking. Ugh. I remember it was really awful trying to get them on and tightened in the first place, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do any better this time around. I'm thinking of cutting an access hole in the floorboard so I can get the @*$(@( wrench in there.

I hate plumbing.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
A "Crows foot" and a long extension is the BEST think I've ever used on the cooler line fittings.:yes:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I *think* I have the coolant leak(s) fixed (knock on wood) after a second round of stop-leak. Small bit of leaking when I parked it yesterday, none today after a short trip.

Except...now I've got a fluid leak at the transmission, the cooler lines are leaking. Ugh. I remember it was really awful trying to get them on and tightened in the first place, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do any better this time around. I'm thinking of cutting an access hole in the floorboard so I can get the @*$(@( wrench in there.

I hate plumbing.
Where was your coolant leaking from? I just had my radiator repaired again, and when I put the car on jackstands to start the disc brake conversion I noticed a small amount of coolant leaking again...has to be a small leak cause it took a couple of days for it to apear. Only a few drops hanging and nothing dripping yet. I may try the stop leak, but don't know if it will hurt anything since the radiator has been repaired twice already. I think it may be time to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where was your coolant leaking from?
The head studs. The ARP thread sealing goop...didn't. Everything is brandy new, so I don't have to worry about clogging something that was partly clogged from corrosion with the stop leak. Like I said...fingers crossed...bar's leaks heavy duty formula seems to have done the trick:

http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm

My old radiator (think it's a stock '65 unit) was weeping a bit from the bottom for the last couple of years. It was time... I still have it, not sure what to do with it yet though.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Summit generic fit one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-380325&view=1&N=700+4294810996

It needs some fab for the mounting arrangements, but it's bigger and cheaper than the one I am running. (entropytec aluminum one from eBay)

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a lot of fussing, cursing, and contorting...

I tried a crow-foot wrench and a long extension, and that didn't work. (At one point I had it stuck on the fitting and couldn't get it back off again...)

Then I duct-taped a box end wrench to the end of a long screwdriver, and...the lower one is now nice and tight, and the upper one is...tighter than it was. I couldn't get the right angle to grab the next set of flats. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I had a bear of a time getting to my coolant lines the last time. I was looking at dropping the tranny crossmember or breaking out the saw. I used the saw. Made an access hole and removable access panel for the future. Never looked back. JR

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Ha... I run a 4L60E in my 66. As I get older I want easy access:D
I cut a hole in the side of my transmission tunnel and made a nice cover plate to cover it up. Only had to remove it once but it was a life saver :eek:

Tg

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just remove the bolts that hold in the trans cross member and lower the entire assembly. It doesnt take much. Watch the valve cover and dizzy to fire wall clearance. Worked on my 67 with 1-3/4 chassis header and three inch exhaust tubing.:yes:

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...

After about 4 more wrench-and-duct-tape creations, and a few shots with the crow-foot wrench, a universal flex joint, and a long extension...

I got the upper fitting tightened too.

Initial results after a trip around the block is one *tiny* drop of trans fluid on the floor. I'm going to keep an eye on it, I need to clean it up good to see if I can spot where the leak still is. It might just be a leftover drip from the earlier leak too. If it is still leaking, it might be from a different spot (tv cable, dipstick) so I need to check that possibility too.

Better...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts