Chevy Nova Forum banner

I hate exhaust leaks!

781 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Novaman Oscar 
#1 ·
I seem to have a curse of a continuing exhaust leak problem with the Nova. I used to have one on the stock manifolds when I had them on, and now I have some hooker long tube comps on there now. I was going down some country road to my friends work to say hey to her, and failed to see a patch of the road that wasn't paved. needless to say I bottom out (my suspensions shot) and now port #1 on my driver side is loose, and I have the gaskets on it that came with the headers. so I'm thinking I may just be better off replacing the gaskets on both of the headers.

I'm not the best with tools to be completely honest with you, I love the Nova to death but I'm just not a very mechanically equipped kinda guy. So how much do you think it would cost to replace the gaskets on the headers to the head? Granted, keep in mine, I have the stock air conditioning on the car which makes it REALLY difficult to get to it.

#4 ·
You don't need a lift to change header gaskets.:no: In fact the car will never come off the ground. It's all done from the top-side.:yes:

Shop labor rates are between $65 and $85 per hour around here. :yes:

A couple six-packs and a fellow Nova bud in your area piddlin' on a Sat evening is a hell-of-a-lot cheaper!!

The Mr. Gasket graphite and Felpro blue gaskets have always been my favorite. Just remember, no matter what gaskets you put in there you need to go back over and re-tighten them for the first few heat cycles and then diligently check them from that point on.:yes: I check mine every time I check my oil!! It only takes a few seconds.....but once they start to leak, the gasket is burned and will have to be replaced.:yes: Nature of the beast.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.