Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and excited that I have my 70 nova SS back. In 1969 while serving in Vietnam, at the Base PX you could order a new car and have it delivered to a stateside dealer for you to pick up when you returned from overseas. So, I ordered a 1970 Nova SS, 350 ci, 300 hp with a four speed and posi-traction. I paid approximately 2700 dollars for it. Upon return it became my daily driver. I got married, had kids, and drove the Nova everyday including towing a small travel trailer with it on vacations. Around 1990 I had the car reupholstered and painted. About this time I had a company car, so the Nova sat outside unused. In 1993 I sold it for $4500. I suffered from sellers remorse since then.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Nova like mine, same color and trim in a mall parking lot. My wife said, "would you ever want to by one again?" I gave a non committal answer. Well, I began checking out this Nova and low and behold it was my old car down to a sticker in the rear window. I left a note on the windshield hoping the owner would call me. A couple of weeks go by and not hearing anything I figured the owner would never call. But he did and it turns out he's the guy I sold the car to in 1993. He invited me to take it for a little drive around the block, and I then asked if he would consider selling it back to me, which he agreed to do only because I was the original owner. We agreed upon a price and I now have my car back.

It still has all the original equipment down to the distributor and the Quadra Jet Carburetor. The engine runs pretty good for 184000 miles and never been rebuilt. Same for the transmission. So now it's time to get to work and make this car like new again.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Wow . . . nice job - - - - - and, THANK YOU for Your SERVICE .

That's a great 'story . . . and, getting your Nova back ! Welcome to SNS - - - your in the right place, for sure .

I really like your Nova . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ny 69 is only a 'Plain Jane Car' , but I'm the 2nd owner and just drive it as much as I can .
I have already told my Grand daughter - Raelyn - It's her car , when she gets older ( she'll turn 7 this month ).
Check out this site for some really good GM - Nova info : NovaResource

(just drag u'r mouse over the top section ).

see ya around . . . . . later jim ( 1969 Chu Lai, RVN - Mag 13 ) .

·
13,723 Posts
What a great story. Welcome to the site and so glad you got your car back after all these years. Many folks look for their former cars and never even get a sniff at finding them. Your car still looks great.

Bob

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,495 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. Great looking Nova... with a great story to go along with it!
Please keep us posted on the progress with your "lost & found" Nova.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
thanks for your service. how lucky can you get an to find in still close by after all these years. enjoy the cruise as you sure waited long to get it back.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I'm new here and excited that I have my 70 nova SS back. In 1969 while serving in Vietnam, at the Base PX you could order a new car and have it delivered to a stateside dealer for you to pick up when you returned from overseas. So, I ordered a 1970 Nova SS, 350 ci, 300 hp with a four speed and posi-traction. I paid approximately 2700 dollars for it. Upon return it became my daily driver. I got married, had kids, and drove the Nova everyday including towing a small travel trailer with it on vacations. Around 1990 I had the car reupholstered and painted. About this time I had a company car, so the Nova sat outside unused. In 1993 I sold it for $4500. I suffered from sellers remorse since then.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Nova like mine, same color and trim in a mall parking lot. My wife said, "would you ever want to by one again?" I gave a non committal answer. Well, I began checking out this Nova and low and behold it was my old car down to a sticker in the rear window. I left a note on the windshield hoping the owner would call me. A couple of weeks go by and not hearing anything I figured the owner would never call. But he did and it turns out he's the guy I sold the car to in 1993. He invited me to take it for a little drive around the block, and I then asked if he would consider selling it back to me, which he agreed to do only because I was the original owner. We agreed upon a price and I now have my car back.

It still has all the original equipment down to the distributor and the Quadra Jet Carburetor. The engine runs pretty good for 184000 miles and never been rebuilt. Same for the transmission. So now it's time to get to work and make this car like new again. View attachment 399364
Welcome. Nice ride great story. What are the odds of that happened?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Congrats on getting your car back. Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Welcome to the site. Nice to see your Nova found its way back home again. I bet you do not feel any older sitting behind the wheel than the day you originally bought the car.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,055 Posts
Awesome story. very happy for you! Welcome!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I

It still has all the original equipment down to the distributor and the Quadra Jet Carburetor. The engine runs pretty good for 184000 miles and never been rebuilt. Same for the transmission. So now it's time to get to work and make this car like new again. View attachment 399364
First, thank you for your service Sir! Second

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't know what happened to my first comment, but thank you for your service. Your story is what makes car guys car guys. So cool, and very happy for you! Welcome to the site, it's very fun and informative.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Great story, must feel like winning the lottery! The family is reunited! :) :)

I don't think she will wander too far away again! Congrats! (y)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Welcome to the site. Awsome story about your car. We like to hear stories like yours around here.
Have fun getting re-acquainted with it again.

Jim........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts