Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of other 3rd gen owners, I found major rust under the mat on the driver's side. Have ended up cutting out the floor pan and now the toe board. While taking out the steering wheel, however, I found the leak!:eek:

You know where the column comes thru the firewall there is that sort-of oval plate held on the inside of the firewall by 4 screws and body washers? Well when the factory guys drove the 2 botton screws they picked up a fold of the firewall pad. :mad: Yep ... it caught water splashed up on the firewall below the master cylinder. You can see where the mat wicked the water right down past the steering column. Maybe that's why so many of our oldies have floor pans that look like swiss cheese!

Ah well ... so now the column is out along with the brake pedal assembly and the instrument cluster, and I can get into that area to clean it up right. First, however, its :beer: time!!

Dave

·
Registered
663 Posts
Haha, Thats interesting. I had the same deal with both of my novas, well i didn't look much at the pad being bent but it was rusted in that same toe board area. Well Hopefully u will be done with the rust crap, after two years of body work and what not i hopefully have no more rust problems!

And beer time is...all day? :D

Rennskii

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...of course the other reason mine rusted so bad was that the original owner had the rubber mats, so when it got wet it would never dry. I'm going to start cutting it all out this morning and maybe start welding before it gets too hot!!

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts