Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I was walking through one of my customers wharehouses and spotted a Chevy II/Nova V-8 block on a pallet along with some other engines he had. He is always fixing up old cars and picked this up with a chevelle he had bought. I asked him what it was and he said it was a 327 out of a nova. So I checked the stamping pad numbers and sure enough it was a ZI block (1966 L-79, 327/350 HP) cast 1st week in feb. 1966
I ended up buying it from hm and brought it home a week or two ago.

It is in good shape with the original heads, crank, rods, and .030 TRW replacement pistons (11 to 1 comp.) just like the originals. It is balanced as well. No intake , no distributor, or tin.

The numbers on the pad are F0209ZI and the serial # is 6N150405.

I figured there are six or seven possible vin #'s of the car it came out of I wasn't sure if they made any 2dr sedan Super Sports ?

114356N150405, 114116N150405, 116356N150405, 116116N150405,

116376N150405, 118376N150405, 118116N150405

If someone has that car or knows of it and would like to have the original engine please let me know. I want it to go back with it's original car if possible

·
13,985 Posts
Nice find. The only Nova Super Sports in 1966 were 2 door hardtops. However, The L79 engine option could be ordered for any 1966 Chevy II body style. Most were Super Sports, but there are also L79 2 door benchseat hardtops and 2 door sedans. A couple of L79 wagons are also known to exist.

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought that the ss cars were all hard tops but wasn't sure. I hope someone will see this that is looking for their engine. I knew it would never be found if it stayed in that wharehouse that is why I picked it up. And someone could be looking for it. I know if it were my car I wouldlove to have the original block back.

Chris

here is the stamp pad

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
And someone could be looking for it. I know if it were my car I wouldlove to have the original block back.
Great find, but I wouldn't hold my breath on finding the original body that goes with it. Being an old guy, I lived through that period. It amazed me (even then) how many of the L79 cars were totaled from '66 thru the early '70s. They were very fast, but when they hit something hard, they just folded up. A lot of the insurance companies really didn't want to try to fix them. I know of one '66 SS that got totaled for a buckled floor pan! A bunch of the engines, transmissions and rear axles survived because of knowledgeable people who bought the wrecks out of salvage pools and pulled out the drivetrains. I know that my buddy John M. stripped at least 4 of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it is a shot in the dark. But If someone is out there loking for it I would love for them to have it. I would rather sell it to the owner of the car than to just anyone. I figured I would let everyone know it is available and then go from there.
I will give it some time to try to find the guy with the car first and then it will be up for grabs! So if someone is looking for one let me know.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I`ve been looking for a 327

Hi, I have been looking for a no.s matching motor for my 67, what are you asking for it? Mark A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts