·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But I liked the end result :devil:.

Before...

During...

The "new part"...

I didn't get a picture of it finished yet. I lost my light while I was finishing up... I tossed the 10 bolt for a 12 bolt with 3:73's. Also tossed out the monoleafs and added Multileaf springs. Now where did I put that 4 speed ? ? ?

Tommy :)

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, longer shocks and I am in the process of having my Traction bars painted the original color (yellow) and should have them on the car by next weekend. :) :)

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are the numbers off the 12 bolt. It is originally from a 70 model Nova and had 3:55's and an eaton unit. It is now equipped with 3:73's.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
All that for a 6 cylinder!:eek::rolleyes::D

·
Registered
141 Posts
what kind of shock are you going to use? just in case youre looking for a cheap way out, run of the mill 91 ford explorer shocks fit on my 74 in the stock location with my extended shackles. forget exactly how much longer they were than stock shocks but they were $17 a piece.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The black 68 got a new rear also this weekend. The one I installed in the blue car was in my black car. The one I installed in the black car is one I just bought from Dan from his 68 SS parts car. The black 68 originally had a "BV" coded 4:10 geared 12 bolt but it was grenaded on the strip.. The car still has the war scars in the rear of the tunnel from the damage to the rear... The rear I bought from Dan has a Schieffer spool and 4:88's with Strange axles. Real nice looking under there.. :cool:.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been busy huh?
I'm very sore and very tired... Me and a floor jack had to handle 2 12 bolts and one 10 bolt... I don't want no more of that for a very long time....:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: Thecherry picker was just used to hold one in the air while I cleaned it up.. Four cans of oven cleaner did the trick :D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It will be much easier to appreciated when you're done. The Black 68 will come life in short order, with those 488's.:yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
was grenaded on the strip.. The car still has the war scars in the rear of the tunnel from the damage to the rear.
my car has similar scars. i'm the only person who ever sees them, so i really just leave it alone. i'm not sure if i can even get my back seat out now, as the floor is that tweaked.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine was supposedly turned to shrapnel during a dryhop after a burnout.. The floor is fine all the way up to the bottom of the back seat and it looks like a tornado had a party... It turned the pinion snubber around and the bracket that holds the brake line and punched a few holes into the tunnel... I would have loved to have seen it happen.... :cool: That black car was raced for many years on the street and at the track.. I replaced the rear bumper because the original had marks and tiny dents all over it from a bumper jack... Probably from swapping street tires and slicks every weekend.... :cool:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
my pinion stopper disappeared as well. the pinion went through the floor sorta like a hole saw. dumped the clutch and all i heard was POP! the car didn't even get to launch.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you center the housing, or the pinion, in relation to the center of the tunnel when you replaced the rearend? The reason I ask is, my 72 is not even close to centered from the factory. There is almost 2 inches difference from right to left. By eyeballing the tunnel and pinion from the front of the car, there is no way in hell I can center the pinion and have the tires at the same place on their respective sides. The housing (whole rearend) needs to move toward the drivers side to take care of the issues, which I am going to do with some new perches when I put multi leafs on it soon. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts