Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is rediculous, i only spent about an hour messin around with my brakes before work, but heres the situation,.
I picked up new front shoes for my 69 nova with 4 wheel manual drums that i have to do now because i found cracks in my old ones.. i took the old ones out put in the new Bendix shoes, made sure the adjuster was all the way closed and the wheel cylinder was compressed, and now i cant get the drum to go back on, it gets about halfway and then i cant even force it on! this is very frustrating, anyway, has anyone got any tips or had a similar problem?
i appreciate all feedback

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Sounds to me like your pistons in your wheel cyl may not be seated or your shoes are hung. I would try to work the shoes inward (push shoes in where the wheel cyl pistons are) and see if this helps. Double check your adjustment to be sure it is all the way in. Make sure the shoes aren't cocked sideways on the backing plate. Did someone depress the pedal with the shoes off? Are you using the same drums as before? and are you sure the shoes are correct?

Good luck:beer:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
There is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe--do you have both leading on one side? I did this several years ago--the first side slipped right on; the second side drove me nuts for about an hour, til I noticed there is more lining on one part. Got the 2 pairs matched up and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
bowtie0069 said:
There is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe--do you have both leading on one side? I did this several years ago--the first side slipped right on; the second side drove me nuts for about an hour, til I noticed there is more lining on one part. Got the 2 pairs matched up and problem solved.
Did the same on my 62. Also had them flipped, right on the left.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The shorter lining shoe on the front and the long shoe on the back. Each brake should have a short and long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay there were alot of you who replied, thanks to all of you, now im gona try and answer some of the questions you had for me.

- i matched the new shoes up to the old ones so im quite sure they are the correct ones for the car
-im using the same drums i had on there
- and yes i did notice that there is a leading shoe, and put the smaller one toward the front
-and no, no one depressed the pedal while the shoes were off, but i did press the pedal when the drum was off, this was after i did the master cylinder to check for pressure. could this have done anything?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
The drum brakes are self energizing; that means the move and sort of expand by moving. Try twisting the shoes in a clockwise rotation; when the brakes are applied they force themselves against the drums by moving counter clockwise. The getter slightly larger in diameter as they move forcing them tighter against the drum on the rear side; that is why the rear shoe is larger it does more of the work and takes more of the load.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I have run into this many times in my mechanic history. You will have to losen up the parking brake adjustment. What happens is people start losing there parking brake. In other words it won"t hold. The mistake people do is adjust there parking brake. WRONG. If you adjust the rear brakes 99% of the time the parking brake comes back into adjustment. Probably someone adjusted your parking brake in the past instead of adjusting your brakes. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I had the same problem on my 66 front drums. I had new uncut drums
with new shoes, and could only get them half way on. I even exchanged
them for another set of shoes. I was sure they were seated against
the top pivot, adjuster all the way in, correct shoe position, still would
not go on. I shortened the adjuster about a 1/16", end of problem. Just
be sure you have all the correct parts installed properly.
Good luck, Rich

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
66rich you should not have had to shorten your adjuster.You realy didn"t fix your problem . I think your parking brake was out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I guess I didn"t read the post about all these problems happening on the front brakes. My solution would only be valid on the rears. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You prolly already fixed it, but as a reference, here is a pic of the Larger Shoe in the rear position and the shorter shoe on the front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Got It!

i was trying all sorts of differnt things to try and get the damn rotor on, nothing was working, so of course, once i calmed down i just took it back apart spent time make sure everything was as tight as it could be and realized that somehow the adjuster wasnt sitting exactly straight, and was causing the front shoe to be cockeyed, this is why i couldnt get the rotor on! so thanks to everyone who replied to my thread, its all valuable advice im sure i can use in the future

1 - 17 of 17 Posts