Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello you guys, I just bought another Transmission today, a 350. The old one just kept pushing out the front seal and leaking oil all over.

The "new" transmission I just bought today has a tail that is about 4 inches longer then the original I have in my car right now.

Will the new tranny fit in alright?

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
No it is going to give you problems with driveline angles. Plus the driveshaft will need shortened and if this tranny does not work out it will be hard to go back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The driveline angles will not change with a truck transmission with a 9 inch tailshaft, its the same exact thing as swapping in a 700r4 which is also 3 inches longer than a car th350 3 inch shorter driveshaft and your set.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy I bought it from is forwarding my calls to his inbox so I don't know if he's dodging me. If I'm stuck with this Transmission and have to use it, Do I shorten the current driveshaft 3"?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The working angles will just increase a little more in the U-Joints. One more one way and the other the other way; I really don't see it as problem Phillip, what are you getting at? Of course the shaft may need shortened.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
How? Cut off the 3 inches and weld it back together?
Yes, but it has to be in the same position (U joint) and it will also require rebalancing too.:yes:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
How? Cut off the 3 inches and weld it back together?
A drive shaft shop will tell you how they want it measured for shortening, follow their recommendations. Most of the time you will need to seperate the front yoke from the shaft, insert into the tranny fully, then pull it back out an inch, then measure. I will not tell you anything other than that because different shops want you to measure it different ways.

Yes, they stick it in a big lathe, precisely cut off one of the ears leaving the flange in tact, cut the shaft off the required amount and then re-weld the ear back on. When I had one shortened it took all of 20 minutes if that. Oh, that included tueing it and balancing it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the knowledge fellas. The guy just called me and said he'll refund me:)..............although he said he accidentally sold me Turbo 400....the oil pan doesn't look like a 400:turn:

Thanks again for the info. Goooood night.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
When the 700R4 was installed in the El Camino it required the rear end angle to be adjusted to correct the vibration caused by the change in the driveline angle. The wheel base is longer than a Nova but I do not know if that would cause it to be more of a problem.

I have a th350 that was promised to a friend. I'll call and see if he still wants it and let you know.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Phillip, the front bushing was damaged and I'm going to go ahead and just get a new torque converter, front seal and bushing.

I'll wait for a new Transmission when I'll do the automatic to manual transition.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty, Transmission is fixed and running/shifting great....Except I just checked the transmission fluid and it reads it is a quart too full. A new leak sprung up around the tranny cooler lines area....not the pan gasket. Is the excessive oil causing the leak?

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Have you checked the level with engine running, transmsiion in park and fluid at operating temperature? That is the correct procedure. The dip stick tube is not a tight seal. Usually the fluid level is below that point, but if overfilled it can seep out around the tube.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I checked the fluid when I came home from work with the engine hot and running on leveled ground on Park.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alrighty, I loosened the pan gasket and let about a quart of oil sprinkle out, checked the fluid level again and it is right where it's supposed to be.

I pray there is no leaks tomorrow.:pray:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts