Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
yup....been there-done that.
sorry for your luck.i have a similar souvenir from my first rebuild.it ran for 17 minutes and cost me $2200.00 to fix. that equates to $129.41 per minute of fun:eek::mad:.
leftcoast carl.
p.s.- the piston isn't completely useless now....it can be a great conversation starter,or a new paperweight at the office:)
LC.C.

·
Registered
508 Posts
for some reason i dont think it was the pistons fault!!!:no: but i too have a simular peiece here at home. i turned mine into an ashtray for the smokers.:eek:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
LOL, the valve stem looks like it was precision cut at the stem! How does that happen, I've seen pinions and output shafts with breaks that look laser cut like that.

I don't mean to laugh but the way it looks is funny.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Ouch that one had to hurt. Did it do any damage to the block.....

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm

i have no idea how much time was on it ,,, doesn't look like much ,, i found this pic , it came up on a search i was doing ,,, it looks like a speed pro hyper cast piston with teflon coated skirts ,,

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Yea looks more like a spring or retainer failure than a piston failure to me.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
What I don't understand is how the skirt has no evidence of running.

the second ring the pink paint still on the ring face.

Humm!:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused:

Al

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
If I was guessing, and it just be a guess, the valve fell out of the retainer, or it was misadjusted very badly and the piston hit it and caused the stem to break, possibly where it protuded from the guide?

I would have guessed a timming issue but I would have thought all of the other cyls would have had a similar occurance, and the engine would not have cranked.

It may have failed with just the starter cranking it?

It kind makes the hyper piston look good as the piston was apparently ductile enough to "absorb" the valve head and shatter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts