Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to change oil/an a grease job. also check elec connections on my starter. well the 66 nova sits to low to get under the front end. were should the proper placement of a floor jack go to say lift 8-10''. an then put two jack stands for safety. an were would the best place be to sit the two jack stands. i sure wish i had a real car lift in the garage. its a 2 car garage but i share with my wifes car an it is only a 9' ceiling.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I typically place the floor jack on the transmission cross member at the transmission mount ( 700r4 with bowtie overdrives cross member). My idea is that this places the load over the two mounting points on either side of the chassis. I then install a jack stand on each side where the front clip bolts to the unibody and also leave the jack as a back up at the transmission mount as mentioned.

Another option would be for you to make a couple of home made ramps from 2x6. Cut them at a 45 degree angle and then place one app 2 feet from the edge of the other and screw them together. Over all they would be 4 ft(?) long. Drive up on to these and then you can place your jack and stands where needed.

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Red, regarding a lift with a low ceiling, mine is 9' 8". I bought a four post lift and raise the car within about 4" from the ceiling (you have to be careful!). I work on the underside while sitting on a rolling, telescopic garage stool.
It's not perfect but better than lying on your back. You quickly get used to it.
I park a car on the lift. It's really no different than if the lift were not there.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I usually just put a 2x4's in front of each tire and drive up onto them for extra jack room. Or you can get some drive up ramps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Put the jack under the crossmember just in front of the oil pan. I usually slide the jack right up to the oil pan. Anything else will damage your car. Jack it up and put stands under the lower control arms unless you are working on the suspension, if so put them under the unibody near where the front end bolts on.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the answers guys. well for now i guess i'll lift the nova from the front cross member an put the jack stands at the unibody were the front clips connect. this spring i think i'll make some wood ramps to just drive up onto. i've just never trusted those metal formed ramps. i imagine it coming crushing to the ground as i drive up onto them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I typically place the floor jack on the transmission cross member at the transmission mount ( 700r4 with bowtie overdrives cross member). My idea is that this places the load over the two mounting points on either side of the chassis. I then install a jack stand on each side where the front clip bolts to the unibody and also leave the jack as a back up at the transmission mount as mentioned.

:eek::eek: If you could see the floor bulging inside the car when you place the jack under the transmission cross member you wouldn't do it again. The trans cross member is designed to support (hang) the weight of the transmission. It is not designed to support half the weight of the car as you raise the front wheels off the ground. The cross member itself is not the problem. The cross member is attached to each front frame rail. The frame rails are thin gauge metal welded to the thin gauge floor pan. Think about it.

Best way to service the car is a lift. Here is one just for your situation.
https://www.maxjaxusa.com/?_vsrefdo...MIpIjNxt_W3wIVyh6GCh0hnw3MEAAYASAAEgIh4fD_BwE

On a first gen car with a stock front clip, I place a floor jack under the cross member that runs beneath the oil pan. If your car has a factory sway bar, it will interfere with the floor jack as you lift the car so in that case a good option is some type of drive on ramps. I've used the stamped steel metal ramps forever and have not had an issue unless the tires are too wide. Just be sure to line them up properly on hard level ground and drive up cautiously until the tires are at the stops. Set the e brake and or use wheel chocks on the rear tires and you are good to go.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
buccflyer.... i didnt think that lifting from the tranny cross member was a good idea. i thought that it was more of a hanger than a lifting point. i might just re think the metal ramps as i do have a pair of them in a friends garage. thanks again

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jack up at the front crossmember and put jack stands under the subframe rails right where the lower control arm mounts.

If you place the jack stands at where the subframe bolts to the firewall, all of the engine and front suspension weight is in front of the jack stands. All of the front weight is cantilevered and is putting a large moment on the upper subframe mounts. I did this once and I swear you could almost see the firewall flex as I lowered the weight off the jack onto the jack stands.

If you put jack stands right by the lower control arm mounts on the frame it is essentially like the weight is on the suspension. Pretty close to center of the engine.

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Ok, so now we’re hearing two points to place the jack stands. Where the lowers A arms bolt and where the front clip mounts. Which one is correct as I might have my from end on jack stands for a while?

Thank you gents

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok, so now we’re hearing two points to place the jack stands. Where the lowers A arms bolt and where the front clip mounts. Which one is correct as I might have my from end on jack stands for a while?

Thank you gents
Think about it from a mechanical/physics stand point. If the car is resting on the front tires, where is the frame supported? The a arms....

If the jack stands are under where the sub frame bolts, what is supporting the weight of the engine and front clip? Just the upper half of the subframe in tension on the firewall and then the lower half of the subframe and floor pan is in compression.

Lift and support as close to factory suspension points as possible. That will mimic factory suspension loading as closely as possible.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so if i was jacking, i'd go from the front crossmenber. then jack stands were the clip connects to the body. an then keep the floor jack under crossmember to keep the cantilever weight of engine an suspension from free floating with no support.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Jack up at the front crossmember and put jack stands under the subframe rails right where the lower control arm mounts.
Like this.

I will leave the jack under the lifting point as another safety measure unless it's in my way. Good stands put under there properly will hold it fine though.

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Yeah, the A arm location does make more sense. I suppose one can also tell if you’re lifting from the right place by noticing if your door gaps change from the norm right?

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I have Church Boys rack and pinion with the Church Boys cross member so jacking there is a no go. I understand what you are saying about the tranny cross member- apologies if I mislead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts