Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie so be gentle. Looking to put a hydraulic clutch setup in and have read all the post from earlier members on this subject. Are there any new ideas, products or recommendations on this. After you read all the information concerning this subject you walk away with a cloud in your mine. Any help is welcomed. The car is a 64 2dr sedan, with a SP383 EFI Deluxe GM crate motor, Muncie 4 speed and 3:55 rear gear. Were in the process of painting the car. Just trying to think ahead. Front clip is a Chassis works unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am in a similar spot as you.

I picked up a 67 with a T5 and a 383. It's setup with manual clutch, but it's not so great.

I looked online at silversport transmission, and they have the whole kit.

But it's $700!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in a similar spot as you.

I picked up a 67 with a T5 and a 383. It's setup with manual clutch, but it's not so great.

I looked online at silversport transmission, and they have the whole kit.

But it's $700!
It is expensive. Think I will call Silver Sport and see what they have to say. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is expensive. Think I will call Silver Sport and see what they have to say. Thanks for the information.
I checked Summit - they have a kit, but its a similar price. I suppose its just not that easy to pull something from an S-10... in the end, the kit may be the right way to go. no guess work

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used the mccloud set up and have 5K miles on it now. works well, I would use it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the mccloud set up and have 5K miles on it now. works well, I would use it again. View attachment 420761
That is a really nice looking setup you have with the LS engine. Super Job. Were there any problems with the rod alignment hitting the parking brake cable and if so what was the fix. Was it a true bolt in or did you have to do any slight modifications. I have read earlier post of it going both ways. I called Silver Sport Transmissions and asked about their "Perfect Fit" Hydraulic clutch kits. The guy was helpful with my questions but there again you never know until you have the product in hand and do a install. Thanks for your input, every little bit helps toward a final decision.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can't offer much help but thought it might be worth mentioning that a friend once put a hydraulic slave cylinder in from a circle track car and it was horrible! Way way way to stiff and basically an on and off switch

·
Registered
877 Posts
I used a Fiero Master and Howe slave. The only issue is you'll have to add a small plate to the firewall to strengthen it. It works perfectly and is very inexpensive. It even uses the hole already in the clutch pedal. I also welded in a lower plate, but I'm not sure that was really needed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used a Fiero Master and Howe slave. The only issue is you'll have to add a small plate to the firewall to strengthen it. It works perfectly and is very inexpensive. It even uses the hole already in the clutch pedal. I also welded in a lower plate, but I'm not sure that was really needed.

View attachment 420787
Did you buy a mounting bracket for the slave on the transmission??

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Howe slave is the type that mounts on the trans input shaft. I would have run a Fiero slave, but I have hooker headers and there is no room for a slave outside the bellhousing. I have more pics and explanation in my Car Profile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is this a hydrolic throw out bearing setup or a slave cylinder setup?
I'm contemplating the slave setup so that I don't have to yank the transmission and clutch.
Its the T56 style throwout bearing which is all inside of the bellhousing on the input shaft.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is a really nice looking setup you have with the LS engine. Super Job. Were there any problems with the rod alignment hitting the parking brake cable and if so what was the fix. Was it a true bolt in or did you have to do any slight modifications. I have read earlier post of it going both ways. I called Silver Sport Transmissions and asked about their "Perfect Fit" Hydraulic clutch kits. The guy was helpful with my questions but there again you never know until you have the product in hand and do a install. Thanks for your input, every little bit helps toward a final decision.
The only things I had to change was the to install longer master cylinder bolts to accommodate for the added thickness of the mounting bracket that is part of the kit. I had to remove the entire clutch/brake pedal assembly to remove & install the longer fasteners. It was difficult at all.

The only other item was the opening in the firewall wasnt fully covered and I added a shield that I made. All in all it was much more complete than I was expecting. If I had to do it again I would take the same approach.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And no interference with parking brake components.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,506 Posts
Look at this "clutch m/c firewall plate" ........... ready made , from DSE .

Clutch Master Cylinder Bracket - (1962-67 Chevy II) (detroitspeed.com)

also , you might want too check out (info too read , about "hyd clutch / throw-out bearings" ) ............

on the Speedway Motors site .

Chevy Hydraulic Throwout Bearing, GM Release Bearing Stock Clutch (speedwaymotors.com)

................... just info = FYI .

(I'm using a 93 S-15 GMC T 5 w/c trans , in my 3rd gen , 69 ......... but all stock linkage ) .

later , jim

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
helofire50 . . . . . .

would you have any "up-dates" , about your "Hydraulic Clutch System" . . . . like = Did you install a
Hydraulic clutch unit onto u'r Nova . . . ?
Would you have any "Info - or - part numbers" , for your install .
Did you do this install or stay with your "manual clutch linkage . . ?

Thanks ,

jim

Reactions: SoCalNova

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jksdkldklaskdld
View attachment 424870

kidkasdklaskldjfasdjfkasjdfaskldjf
View attachment 424871
helofire50 . . . . . .

would you have any "up-dates" , about your "Hydraulic Clutch System" . . . . like = Did you install a
Hydraulic clutch unit onto u'r Nova . . . ?
Would you have any "Info - or - part numbers" , for your install .
Did you do this install or stay with your "manual clutch linkage . . ?

Thanks ,

jim
Sorry for the slow response back. My son got married so I was out of town. Yes, I got the Silver Sport Transmission hydraulic clutch setup. I installed the slave cylinder as the pictures will show. You have to do a little thinking to get the thing mounted and have the pushrod at the right angle for the clutch pedal. Just utilize one of the holes that were already in the firewall and you will have to do a little grinding on one of the holes to get the right angle for the pushrod. The reinforcement plate that mounts to the back of the cylinder makes a good template. Moving on to the hydraulic bearing you will see from the pictures that I cut a slot from the stock clutch fork hole for the hydraulic line from the bearing. When I first got the kit I test fitted all parts and saw that was not going to work. I called Silver Sport (SS) and they said they sent me the wrong line. They said the vehicle they used to make the kit had the clutch fork coming out at the 9 o'clock position. I told them all Gen 1 and 2 Nova's had the hole at the 7 o'clock position. They admitted their mistake and that's why they made a new line which would have to be tweaked. You could get a bellhousing from an early Camaro with a 9 o'clock opening and everything would be fine, but since that's all I had to cut out I am OK with that. I put the whole setup in the car with a dummy block, heads, bellhousing and transmission and installed my headers. The hydraulic line cleared the header with no problem. One more note, the pushrod they send is to long. The hex tubing they send is tapped on both ends but doesn't go all the way thru. I got the right measurement and cut the excess out of the middle. I then drilled a hole in both untapped ends and inserted a rod connecting both halves together. Then welded around the outside, ground everything to match and painted. I hope this helps. I'm still not ready for final installation but at least now I know it will fit.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Lookin great so far. I know you probably already know this but the cut in the bell housing for the hyd line really should be smoothed and radiused to prevent any possible chance of stress risers for fracture of that area. Those things are paper thin (as you know) and any way to reduce the stresses is highly advised.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Fixture
Yellow Gesture Gas Composite material Art

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
helofire . . . . thank you for your 'up-date & pictures' .

Pictures are "always Good" . . . . .

I sure hope everything works good . . . and solid .

later , jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts