Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if i am doing this correctly never asked a question before. Got a chance at a m22 trans. My question is my 1973 has a console and i dont know what shifter will work i called hurst and they had no ideas at what shifter to use. My car currently has a saginaw 4sp with a hurst shifter. I do not want to cut anything and i want the backdrive linkage to work when done. Anybody been down this road? thanks. Brian.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The M-22 you have a chance to buy, is it 10 spline input/27 spline output,or 26 spline input/32 spline output??? crash

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trans

Not sure crash a guy i know that owns a trans shop called a said he came across one. Never seen it. Might have to change clutch disc and driveshaft. The shifter application seems to be the issue. 1973 with center console and m22 may not have ever been so no shifter to fit and i wont cut the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Its easier to put a Hurst shifter for 3rd gen Nova with a console on a "584" 27 spline out put tail housing 1970 and older Muncie...

Hope this helps... Crash

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see said the blind man. Turns out it is the older one still have never seen it though so i dont know much more about it. Do you have more details on the shifter issue? One place i called said that the factory shifter would have been a muncie unit and that a aftermarket one was never produced. futher research says that the factory shifter was junk. One guy said that the hurst i have on my saginaw should work with different linkage and mounting brackets. I have seen mounting brackets on ebay for first gen camaros that also claim to be for novas as well. The reason for all of this is the saginaw has been gone through once and is making noise again the car has a 383 and i dont think the saginaw can take it. I see that there is a kit to install a richmond but the money is a little steep. would also like to say thanks to anyone who takes the time to try to help i know we all have lots in this world to do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I replaced a T-10 in my 79 Nova with a M21 and had to get a new driveshaft built. M21 was a little shorter. I maybe could've had the yoke extended but wanted a better DS anyways. Mounted a Hurst Street Super/Shifter to the
M21 and had to gut the floorpan some and do some other baby-sledge "adjustments" for shifter rod clearence. New shifter was farther offset to drivers side compared to a Competiton + shifter. The rods are straight compared to angled but it's a very tight shifter with short throws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts