Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I was looking at a couple different shifters and these two seem to fit my requirements. I don't really need a ratchet function, might even go C02 powered in the future. It has to operate both a glide and TH400 as i have both those trannies (one as a back-up).

Which would be the better choice? I am unfamiliar with aftermarket automatic shifters as I am a Manual guy. :D

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I've run both at different times, and the operation is very similar. I'm sure either will work just fine for you.

I think the Hurst requires a spacer kit to convert the Quarter Stick to a three speed operation. The Pro Sticks I think are still a gate plate operation and you'll need to swap out the plate for a three-speed pattern. I think the Pro Stick shifters are little less expensive. I run a Hurst Quarter Stick in my car currently. i hope I didn't confuse the matter more for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha thanks man, no that was just fine. I was interested in design flaws, cheap manufacturing, insanely elaborate procedures to change the operation over for another trans etc.

I can deal with changing the side plates, seems simple enough.

Oh yeah, how do you have it mounted? I was thinking the floor between the buckets, but would it be easily reachable?

·
Registered
440 Posts
DJ, are you going to Fullerton on the 21 ?
I have 2 BM shifter, one old one and a almost new one. One was on my th400 and the other on a th350.
Let me know if you will be there, help pay for my jacket.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
I have had two Hurst Quarter sticks. Neither of them could be converted from powerglide to T-400. The reverse pattern T-400 and glide one can be used on either trans. A normal pattern T-350 or T-400 can't be switch over to a glide pattern. The gate is made into the shifter and isn't removable. At some point in the past they might have made them that way but neither of the ones I have had in the last 3 years can be swapped over.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
816 Posts
I've been scratching my head on this one trying to figure my shifter out. I've run it forward and backward on my TH350 and I was almost positive it could be used on a powerglide...the closest I came was 3162001, which will work for glide or Th350. I'm not sure what the change is but summit usually posts the instructions. may require a little time with the grinding wheel...

i love mine. it's mounted to the trans tunnel, i've got long arms too :) best bet is to get seated where you'll be when you're driving and make sure it's within EASY reach! you don't want to have to stretch to hit any gear, especially if this is a strip car.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I have had two Hurst Quarter sticks. Neither of them could be converted from powerglide to T-400. The reverse pattern T-400 and glide one can be used on either trans. A normal pattern T-350 or T-400 can't be switch over to a glide pattern. The gate is made into the shifter and isn't removable. At some point in the past they might have made them that way but neither of the ones I have had in the last 3 years can be swapped over.
Hurst part number: 228 0111 is the spacer kit to convert a 2-speed Quarter Stick to a 3-speed or vice versa.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Hurst part number: 228 0111 is the spacer kit to convert a 2-speed Quarter Stick to a 3-speed or vice versa.
I don't know how it would work on the one I have. The gate is part of the main body and isn't removeable. It would have to be cut out and welded to the main body of the shifter to replace it. I just took these pictures of mine tonight. It could be changed it would require a grinder and a welder to replace it. Maybe the older shifter could be changed but the two I have had couldn't be swapped over very easy.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Just some food for thought, I have the B&M Pro Ratchet, and love it. It is a one gear at a time movement, and the handle always returns to the middle. Never have to wonder where the handle is. Does not take much room, and can be converted to air shift down the road. Works with any 2 or 3 speed GM tranny, and with a different side plate can accomodate the ODs.

Tiny

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm with NovaGuy. I had a Hurst glide shifter and had to send it to them for a conversion for a three speed shifter. And is all they did was swap it with a used/rebuild unit.:no: The newer versions maybe able to change back and forth like the B&M.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJ, are you going to Fullerton on the 21 ?
I have 2 BM shifter, one old one and a almost new one. One was on my th400 and the other on a th350.
Let me know if you will be there, help pay for my jacket.
What event? PM on what you are looking for for each one. I have decided on the B&M for the ease of conversion to and from 2/3 speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.