Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one in my 66 with a sag 4 speed...Has anyone that own's one ever had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd..Mine jambs up and I've got to dickaround with it to get it in 3rd...Just curious cause it used to work pretty good..I know there's adjustment bolts but I'm not sure if thats the prob. I've made the correct adjustments for all gears....Hope someone can help....Thanks.......Rrox..:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ...I might be able to except that but the shifter's new.....:mad:...Now that I've got the tunnel back in place, there's no room for tweezers...Let alone my club fingers....

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
The second to third gate will give you problems if the shifter arms are NOT aligned right.

There is a hole in the center of the shifter plates under where the chrome arm merges into the housing. Put a drill bit in the hole to get the shift levers aligned for the netrual position. Off by just a little will cause what is happening to you.

The adjusting bolts are shifter arm stops. They help when SLAMMING the shifter arm forward and rearward. If you screw them in TOO far those bolts will keep the arm from shifting the gears right.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bryan..I'll work on that in the AM...Before it gets 100 degrees..Thanks..:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Even2 turns of the rod out and it won,t go into third ! Let me gues not only won,t it go ,It stays in 2nd and won,t shift at all.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
This is from the site on how to adjust the linkage.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

There is a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the Hurst mechanism that runs through all three levers. This is called the neutral alignment hole. To ensure proper adjustment, run the shifter from first into second and then back to neutral. Insert the neutral alignment pin (or a 1/4 inch drill bit) into the neutral alignment hole. If the 1-2 lever interferes with the smooth insertion of the alignment pin, remove the 1-2 linkage rod from the shifter and thread the adjuster button either in or out to eliminate the interference. Repeat this procedure with the 3-4 lever and reverse. To adjust the stop bolts, back the bolts out of the shifter frame until only a few threads remain. Push the stick firmly into third gear and hold. Screw in the stop bolt until contact is made. Release the stick and back the stop bolt out one turn and tighten the jamnut. Push the stick into fourth gear and repeat the procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
This is like a blast from the past. The transition from 2st to 3rd was always problematic. I think it was said earlier that you need to start at a baseline by disconnecting the rods and aligning the shifter. I used to use an allen wrench that would fit, than put the shifting arms on the transmission in neutal. Then adjust rods to fit. BIG PLUS, replace all the plastic bushing with steel. These guys may be your root cause of binding.

Start lifting weights and increase your strength in your right arm. Hey Grumpy and Ronnie Sox were little guys but they could make those shifters scream.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts