Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! just joined the club. I'm the proud new owner (3rd owner) of a 68 chevy ii. 327 4 speed. I'm looking for some info on the hurst shifter that is installed on the car. when i jacked the car up and looked at the shifter, the only thing that i see is the patent stamp on the side "Hurst Competition Plus us patents 3216274 3306126 others pending". i want to get a different hurst shifter lever. all the levers state a shifter number that its is compatible with. none have my number??? Is there another model number on it that i missed, its driving me crazy i looked at that shifter for ever trying to see anything else!!! any help would be awesome

cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does the lever/handle have two bolts that attach the handle to the shifter, or is the handle part of the shifter???

Crash

·
Registered
69 Posts
All of the Hurst after market shifters parts have a 4 digit part number stamped into them...

What are the numbers of the rods, levers/arms, mounting plate, and chrome handle...

The handle number is just above to 2 bolt holes... Crash

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also new this website.

I'm working on a 69 nova with a BBC and a Muncie. My car has a bench seat so I want to make sure I have the correct handle. I was planning on putting a hurst competition plus shiftt (patent# 3216274). I believe the handle is not correct for a bench seat.There isn't any bolts holding the handle on. It's part of the shifting mechanism.Do they they make a replacement handle? Also I'm being told that the shifting rods are different between a BB car and a SB car. Is this correct ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hurst shifter

I have 2 sets of linkages

1st set) numbers are 2144,2145,2146

2nd set) the numbers are hard to read. 5298 07, 5299 08, 5808 or 5308 09.

Will either set work ?

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts
All of the Hurst after market shifters parts have a 4 digit part number stamped into them...

What are the numbers of the rods, levers/arms, mounting plate, and chrome handle...

The handle number is just above to 2 bolt holes... Crash

This is the Hurst shifter handle # 538-8620 that I bought for my 69
bench sear car & using a Saginaw 4speed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-5388620/overview/

for this 4 speed trans. --- look on the floor @ the red tranny

look at the "curve in the handle" -- it's supposed too clear the bench seat . I never got this installed .

I DID install the B/W W-C T 5 5speed (mounted on the engine stand).

Summit Racing list alot of Hurst shifter handles

like =

538-6836
538-4106
538-8022

538-8620

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
try the Hurst site . you may want to call or email them as well.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
after re reading your OP and checking my photos.... You say you want a new shifter handle, right? not the rods or the shifter?
then as long as its a Hurst handle with two holes it will fit the competition plus shifter Here's a pic of the "modified" shifter that came with my nova note the weld, it shouldn't be there. But also notice the same patent # you have, and the PN to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
All of these shifter lever/handle will fit the competition plus.

Also note the bras colors block. that is an offset you can add if you want to move your shifter off to the Passanger side about 7/16"
Hurst and other sources lie summit and jegs that carry Hurst have dimensional drawings of all the shift levers available. E.G. second pic

The drawings are not to the same scale so it makes it hard to compare.

All shifters have the 4 digit suffix of he PN ( not including the 3 digit prefix) on the bottom, you can only see one in the pic cause its on the other side on the ones not visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Uh, DUH, now I see the OP was in Nov and Ejays is asking a different question, my apologies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts