Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 350 4 bolt main,40 over,10 over on the crank, flat top pistons,Lunati cam & lifters Dur- 262/268,Lift-.468/489 Air Gap intake,Holly carb,TH400 trans,Ford 9" with 350 gears.I have two sets of heads that are done and ready to install.Which set would give the best performance over all ?
Thanks in advance, Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the intake bolts on differently on vortec heads. From what they say though the vortec heads are years ahead in performane than the old heads.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
You can get V-tec heads retroed to except older intakes. Look on Dickey-Scoggins or Pace Performance they seem to have the best prices. Summitt has it's own brand of heads now also and some major head company has to be making them for them. But the Vortecs are a better flowing head than the Double Hump if your not tring to build an era correct engine or something.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the Vortec's are the better choice.
They have a better port and better combustion chamber.
It's a win win!

Al

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
my friend ,,

my engine builder pal tells me his ported double humps with 2.02 or 2.05 valves have a broader torque curve than the vortecs although the vortecs have more peak power on the dyno. The money you can blow on production heads can get crazy to equal aftermarket quality so a person always needs to keep that in mind. There is usually a set of 180cc blem Dart heads on ebay that i think i'd look into instead of either choices. You could always port the darts bigger if you wanted later on and I hear vortecs are as good as you can get them in stock form.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Stock for stock ..the vortecs outflow the double humps hands down....in fact i've read in chevy highperformance that the vortecs flow better than the 034 bowtie head.....imo i would run the vortecs:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
go with the vortec head with a vortec inlet manifold. u can get vortec heads with the old style 12 bolt pattern but u sitll have to mod the old inlet because on the vortec heads the inlet runners are higher up.

i went from 76cc chamber heads to 64 cc chamber vortecs and i also port matched inlet to heads and my car pulls hard! best bang for the buck!

P.S. once u have gone vortec heads the next step is the ls heads! im now building a 6.0L

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm building a 350 4 bolt main,40 over,10 over on the crank, flat top pistons,Lunati cam & lifters Dur- 262/268,Lift-.468/489 Air Gap intake,Holly carb,TH400 trans,Ford 9" with 350 gears.I have two sets of heads that are done and ready to install.Which set would give the best performance over all ?
Thanks in advance, Jerry
The Vortecks are the way to go.

Where did you find a 10 over crank as I have never seen one yet LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts