Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what HP do I need to consider a fabricated rear end housing?

I have a Ford 9" posi with 3:89 gears. I just bought the car and it has no motor or trans so I don't even know if it is good. Future plans include 700+ HP maybe more with nitrous. Leaning towards a ladder bar and coil over setup. May decide to put in new frame rails as well as mine look a bit beat.

I plan to minitub the wheel wells and run a 10.5 drag radial on the street, maybe slicks at the track.

Should I try to work with this rear end, or start fresh with a fabricated housing etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should add a backbrace as well as brace up/gusset the ladderbar/coilover mounts if you go that route.

If your going to be throwing 700+nitrous at it, you should consider an aftermarket centersection before the stock one spits the pinion out.

Another thing to examine is what size housing you have, this will have an effect on which spline axles to can run...

HTH

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The stock housing will take alot more than the stock center section and axels. You need to check it and see exactly what you do have since stock can offer several different heavier duty parts. RM

·
Registered
271 Posts
At what HP do I need to consider a fabricated rear end housing?

I have a Ford 9" posi with 3:89 gears. I just bought the car and it has no motor or trans so I don't even know if it is good. Future plans include 700+ HP maybe more with nitrous. Leaning towards a ladder bar and coil over setup. May decide to put in new frame rails as well as mine look a bit beat.

I plan to minitub the wheel wells and run a 10.5 drag radial on the street, maybe slicks at the track.

Should I try to work with this rear end, or start fresh with a fabricated housing etc.
sounds like good plan r u gunna do the minitub yourself? wil it take out the backseat?

·
Registered
726 Posts
They will last a lot longer if you don't use a transbrake . They put a lot of stress on the centersection and the center bearing when you release the button and slam everything hard..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The nodular third members will take alot of stress with a daytona pinion support. I wouldn't trust a normal 3rd member to very many transbrake launches. Be sure and use good axles. I would also run cross braces like stated earlier. You're gonna narrow it anyway, so you might as well add the bracing.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The banjo style housing will take more beating than the normal style. Also, the posi units don't take much to break. When you break a stock case, or a war case, it spits the pinion out the front. This usually takes the driveshaft and transmission with it. With a 9" you really need good parts.

Its hard to beat an 8.5 10 bolt with 33 spline axles and spool for durability and cost vs. a built up 9" ford.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stock housing will take alot more than the stock center section and axels. You need to check it and see exactly what you do have since stock can offer several different heavier duty parts. RM
Do you have any references I can use to determine exactly what I have? I am just learning what I am looking at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like good plan r u gunna do the minitub yourself? wil it take out the backseat?
There is no back seat now. The guy that had it already moved the leaf springs inboard and cut the wheel wells to fit bigger tires. I plan to cut out whats left of the wheel wells and install new mini tubs. The rearend has already been narrowed a little, not sure how much.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I heard the same and went with a Detroit locker.
I use a Detroit Locker, the small bearing housing will only allow 31 spline axles. For me I don't believe I need anything else. Currie had everything I needed.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Do you have any references I can use to determine exactly what I have? I am just learning what I am looking at.

The best Ford ever offered in a factory street car was 31 spline axels and a Nodular center section with a detroit locker. Only real muscle cars got that. You probably have 28 spline axels and a cast center section. I have run a 3000 lb back halved Nova with a trans brake and 750 HP with a reinforced beefed up stock housing with a 33 spline spool and axels. I ran a cast center section with a big pinion support and pro gears. It is owned by my brother and after 12 yrs is still being run that way. The car runs high 9s now. Hope that helps you.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I just recently changed to a Strange center section and spool. I ran a Locker for 5 or 6 years with no problems. I stayed with the 31 spline axles. I'm running a tranny brake and the motor made 886 at the rear wheels. There are stronger parts out there I know. I bought what I could afford at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts