Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second gen Nova, how much rear tire will fit in an unmolested stock wheel tub? Trimming and or leaf spring relocation ok. Looking at trying to fit 17x8 wheel with 26-26.5 tall tire. I do not want to mini tub. Let's see what you all have done.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Brian
Mine are 15X8 with 26.1 tires and it is very close. Cannot get the rears off without jacking up the car. The tire list at 26.1 but with air and weight is is more like 25.4"
Hope this helps, this is bone stock leaf location.
Tom

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Before i mini tubbed my 67 i was running 275 x15 nitto tire on a 8 inch weld draglite with 4 1/2 inch back space . only thing i did was trim the outer fender lip , had about a 1/2 inch clearance from leaf to tire , i never did see any rub marks. I know it isnt the same as is with 17 or bigger wheels , but hope it sheds a little light for ya,

·
Vendor
1,435 Posts
Within reason, a taller wheel will actually help your cause. The smaller diameter wheels (15"-16") will have more tire bow than the taller wheels (17"18").

We ran a 275/40/17 which is 25.5" tall on a 17"x8" wheel. That car was thrown around the autocross pretty hard and it never rubbed.

-J

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 275-40 -17 in a stock tub is exaclty what I was hoping to hear some one has done succesfully.I am assuming the factory suspension bumpers on the inside need to be trimmed off?Springs inboard or 4 link manditory.:D

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Come on, Brian. Just cut it, will ya? You got the skills...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was able to squeeze a set of 15x8 rims with 28x11.5 MT ET streets under mine.
Had to remove the bump stop off the driver side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts