Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so i just picked up a 72 nova ss with a 350. The guy i bought it from stopped the exhaust right before the rear diff. basically there are 2 flowmaster mufflers right in front of the rear diff. my question is how did the exhaust run over the rear axle and where did the tips exit? any pics would help greatly so i cant show my exhaust guy how to do it. Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here is a picture that shows the factory exit location of the stock dual exhaust:

Here is a picture that shows a reproduction of the original factory dual exhaust system. Most people ditch the crossflow muffler and put single in-out mufflers where the resonators would have gone:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome! thanks for the help and pics!

The tips kick almost straight down about 3 inches behind the rear wheel opening. Perfect for kicking dust up all over your nice clean car...:) Looking at the car from the side you will see about 2 to 3 inches of pipe below the body.

Best pic I could find

·
Registered
226 Posts
I stumbled across this old thread and thought I should add my 2 cents.

The outlets dumped downward behind the rear tires only through 1969, then for 1970 through 1972 they actually ran extensions out to the rear bumper where they then turned down.

I have a 1970 Hot Rodding magazine somewhere where they tested a new 1970 Nova SS witha 350 & a 4-speed. Clearly shown were the exhaust tips turning down at the rear bumper. I'll have to find it in order to post it.

Here is a picture from the 1971 brochure:

Starting with the 1973 models the exhaust outlet returned to behind the rear wheels but aimed straight out to the side, not down. That is how the outlet(s) were configured until the end of the 1979 run.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I agree with what Cam has stated.

The one thing I will say about '72 is I believe if you looked at the pipes coming out the back, they were not parallel to each other. They had the slightest inward angle.

I had a friend that had an original '72 SS with original exhaust and the pipes had that slight inward direction. Of course, I cannot find a picture.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If there is a picture in my '72 assembly manual of it I'll post it up later on today.

I was also curious about this a couple years ago, mine now exit behind the rear tires but I angled them outwards. I've lately been thinking about taking them straight out the back so they stop throwing dust everywhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I installed the Flowmaster American Thunder kit with an "H" pipe. It ended almost exactly like the first picture in this thread, which is very close to stock. I added stainless tips to improve the look, but still don't like it.

Since the car is in the shop anyhow, I decided to modify the exhaust to go straight out the back. I'll put some pics up once I get it back this week.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The 1972 assembly manual shows the tips coming out under the rear bumper using the factory cross-flow muffler (engine option L48 350).

It says 1.62" +/- .06" between the bumper and the pipe and it does look like they angle down slightly.

I can post the pic if you want it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts