Chevy Nova Forum banner

How to tell if 69 Nova is a real SS by VIN?

19K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  IIonPilgrimg 
#1 ·
I'm looking at this 1969 Nova SS 350 with the following VIN: 114279W458508.

I understand that it goes:
1 - Chevrolet
1 - Nova
4 - V8
27 - 2 door hardtop
9 - 1969
W - Willow Run, MI
And the rest is the production number.

How can I tell based off these numbers if it is a genuine SS car?

Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
From the vin # - - - I don't think you can tell . Looks like you have the correct vin # info . . . but all I can get IS ; it tells you it was original V-8 Nova
( # -1 = Chev , # - 14 = V-8 , # 27 = 2 dr , # 9 = year (1969) , W = Willow Run plant .

Do u have the original matching #'s engine - I even think not , because ' 350 ' came along later. There WAS a post on here that gave some " SS " only details ( & I have not seen that post in a while - - you car search for that post.

Also , if you can - - - you could post up some ' pictures of u'r Nova . . . . i'm sure other members could help out even more .

There is also #'s on u'r cowl - tag that we may find useful . . . . get a ' close - up picture ' of that ( it may tell us more - - - ? ? .

later, jim

and, (y)WELCOME to SNS . . . . glad too have you here . . . .

#5 ·
From the vin # - - - I don't think you can tell . Looks like you have the correct vin # info . . . but all I can get IS ; it tells you it was original V-8 Nova
( # -1 = Chev , # - 14 = V-8 , # 27 = 2 dr , # 9 = year (1969) , W = Willow Run plant .

Do u have the original matching #'s engine - I even think not , because ' 350 ' came along later. There WAS a post on here that gave some " SS " only details ( & I have not seen that post in a while - - you car search for that post.

Also , if you can - - - you could post up some ' pictures of u'r Nova . . . . i'm sure other members could help out even more .

There is also #'s on u'r cowl - tag that we may find useful . . . . get a ' close - up picture ' of that ( it may tell us more - - - ? ? .

later, jim

and, (y)WELCOME to SNS . . . . glad too have you here . . . .
Did I understand that correctly? NO 350 in a '69? Well my '69 did...in '69....new!
According to O'Reilly's my rare '68 Nova SS didn't have one either! :p
I'll run down to the garage and tell her she's lying to me. :p

#3 ·
There is nothing in the VIN of any 1968 - 1971 Nova to designate if it was a Super Sport. The L48 350 CID engines in SS cars were only used in those models, so if the car still has it's original engine you may be able to tell that way. It will need to have it's stamped partial VIN (matching the dash VIN) and the suffix code on the engine pad. For a '69, the last 2 letters of the suffix code will be HA, HB or HE.

Bob

#9 ·
There is nothing in the VIN of any 1968 - 1971 Nova to designate if it was a Super Sport. The L48 350 CID engines in SS cars were only used in those models, so if the car still has it's original engine you may be able to tell that way. It will need to have it's stamped partial VIN (matching the dash VIN) and the suffix code on the engine pad. For a '69, the last 2 letters of the suffix code will be HA, HB or HE.

Bob
This is right. It should be a block #3970010. Colvin's book says, "In the 1969 model year, Chevrolet documentation shows the block was used only in a 4-bolt configuration." The VIN# stamped on both cowl and engine is likely the only way to prove originality short of a build sheet, which should match both.

#4 ·
As you can see from the "RPO" status (below), the SS package was an option on '68-'71 Novas - not a separate model, so all of what Bob said (above) is 100% accurate.

From NovaResource:
1969 Super Sport - RPO Z26
Model Availability
  • Nova coupe - 11427
Power Train Availability
  • 350 V8 4V L48
  • 396 V8 4V L34
  • 396 V8 4V L78
Equipment (used in addition to or in place of standard equipment)
  • Exterior
    • Front fender side louver ornament (bright edge)
    • Special hood ornaments
    • Black painted grille with bright upper and lower horizontal bars
    • Black painted rear end panel trim plate
    • Under hood insulation
    • "SS" emblem on grille and rear end panel
    • Engine Chrome
  • Interior
    • Black steering wheel, shroud and column with "SS" emblem on shroud
  • Chassis
    • Red stripe, wide oval E70-14-4PR tires on 14x7 rim
    • F40 Heavy duty suspension (F41 Sport suspension optional)
    • Front disc brakes with power assist
And - here's the page from Chevrolet's 1969 showroom brochure that describes the standard equipment on the '69 Nova SS. Lest anyone take this out of context, please remember that most available Nova options could be added to this description, so don't think that every '69 Nova SS came with a "Special 3-Speed gearbox". :p
Nova Brochure link

#6 ·
As you can see from the "RPO" status (below), the SS package was an option on '68-'71 Novas - not a separate model, so all of what Bob said (above) is 100% accurate.

From NovaResource:
1969 Super Sport - RPO Z26

And - here's the page from Chevrolet's 1969 showroom brochure that describes the standard equipment on the '69 Nova SS. Lest anyone take this out of context, please remember that most available Nova options could be added to this description, so don't think that every '69 Nova SS came with a "Special 3-Speed gearbox". :p
Nova Brochure link
Thanks for that link! :)
Do you have one for '68?

#7 ·
Sorry, but I think we're throwing you off on the SS engine thing. The 1968 and '69 super sports both had 350 CID engines. In '68 it was reported as 295HP. In 1969, it was 300HP. These higher horsepower 350 CID engines were only available in the super sport. Lesser 350's could be found in non SS cars. In 3rd generation Chevy IIs/Nova, the super sport was an option package, which included the higher horsepower 350 CID V/8 engines. The VINs in these car only tell you the car is either a V/8 (427) or six cylinder (327). It will not tell you which V/8 is in the car or whether or not it's an SS. Hope this helps.

Bob

#8 ·
Bob, a 427 is a big block. A 327 is a small block. But you know this and, of course, you're referring to 11327 or 11427 in the VIN#. I have an original 1970 SS with the original block, code CNJ (three letters in 1970). It decodes as 300 hp with 4-bolt mains.

There are other clues which may help identify a true SS without the original engine block:

Build sheet under rear seat cushions
Front disc brakes (a 1968 had finned drums)
Dual exhaust hangers / bolt holes in two places: above the rear pumpkin and near the rear wheel wells
Positraction rear-end / multi leaf suspension
Hood has two brackets welded to the underside rear lip: The rearmost hood louver pins poke through these brackets - if the hood is original, this seems a dead tell-tale
4 barrel intake manifold? 194 intake valves?
The ID plate shows the assembly week. Drive train parts should have cast dates within a few weeks prior to this date

#11 ·
A couple clues to look for. Check the fuel line. The 350 4 barrel and the 396 came with 3/8 fuel lines, the 307 came with 5/16. I'm not sure what the 350 2 barrel came with. Also a SS will have power disc brakes. If it has drums, not a SS. Look for factory dual exhaust hangers.

#12 ·
Right on both counts. There's are more ways than a cowl tag to identify an SS. 3/8" is an O.D. measurement, presumably. This fuel line is from a CNJ engine/body.
"A couple clues to look for. Check the fuel line. The 350 4 barrel and the 396 came with 3/8 fuel lines, the 307 came with 5/16. I'm not sure what the 350 2 barrel came with. Also a SS will have power disc brakes. If it has drums, not a SS. Look for factory dual exhaust hangers."

Attachments

#17 ·
This is my understanding of the SS/disc brake question: In 1968, SS Novas came standard with FINNED drum front brakes. If your car is a '68 with original front drum brakes and the drums don't have fins, the car was not born an SS. Power front disc brakes (RPO J52) were available in both 1968 and 1969 on any Nova at extra cost. So, a '68 SS Nova COULD have had power front disc brakes if the dealer had ordered it that way, but that doesn't guarantee that it is an SS. However, in 1969 power front disc brakes were made standard as a part of the SS package. Therefore, if you have a '69 Nova with original front drum brakes, it was NOT born an SS; but again, having power front disc brakes doesn't automatically MAKE it an SS,.

#18 ·
Its chequing under the seat cushion or on top of the gas tank for the build sheet , its the only way . As many have mentioned , everyone has an SS but dont have the documentation to back it up . Best person that can give you advice or insight , is cdnl79 . . . Imo

#19 ·
It's unfortunate that many cars didn't get build sheets stuck somewhere in the vehicle at the factory. There was no requirement for assembly line workers to do so. Most went in the trash. We also know of many instances where a build sheet wasn't even for the car in which it was found. From another website recently, the story of an owner excited to find a build sheet in the seat springs of his Camaro. Disappointment followed when he found it was for a Chevelle that apparently was built on the same assembly line.

The only third generation Nova that can be confirmed an SS by the VIN is 1972. If the 5th digit in the VIN is a 'K' it means the engine was the L48 350 CID 4-bbl, which was exclusive to the Nova SS.

Bob

Reactions: Wicked_70
#25 ·
It's unfortunate that many cars didn't get build sheets stuck somewhere in the vehicle at the factory. There was no requirement for assembly line workers to do so. Most went in the trash. We also know of many instances where a build sheet wasn't even for the car in which it was found. From another website recently, the story of an owner excited to find a build sheet in the seat springs of his Camaro. Disappointment followed when he found it was for a Chevelle that apparently was built on the same assembly line.

The only third generation Nova that can be confirmed an SS by the VIN is 1972. If the 5th digit in the VIN is a 'K' it means the engine was the L48 350 CID 4-bbl, which was exclusive to the Nova SS.

Bob
I have a build sheet from a Nova... 11327... It's great memoriam (rust and rats notwithstanding)... specially considering I know the old-lady's car had major rear quarter repair. Why left in the seat of a 11327 with major repair when the 'real-thing' doesn't have it?

#21 ·
Disc brakes were not free in 1968. All 1968 Chevy IIs came with front drum brakes, including the SS. Disc brakes were a $100 option for all models including the SS. In 1969, the SS was the only Nova to come with standard front discs. Extra cost optional discs were still available for all others.

Super Sports in both 6 and V/8 versions could be found in dealer showrooms and on dealer lots. They could also be customer ordered.

Bob

#24 ·
In reference to his two 1972 (non-SS) Novas, one with a 307, the other with a 2 bbl. 350
Both had 2.73 rear gears, maybe that was the standard gearing for 72.
In 1972, all 6-cylinders came with 3.08 gears. 307s and L65s (2 bbl. 350s) Turbo Hydra-matic Novas came with 2.73 gears unless the trailering package was ordered, in which case they came with 3.42s. Those two engines with 3-speed standard transmissions or Powerglides (307 only) came with 3.08 gears. L48 (SS) Novas came with 3.08s in Turbo Hydra-matic cars and 3.42s in 4-speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.