Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the h&^* do you get axle bearings off? I have a rather sturdy home made press and just bought a bearing separator. I put the separator under the bearing (between it and the retainer plate after removing the retainer studs). The bearing broke in half and shot ball bearings all over. The inner race is still on the shaft as well as the locking spacer that was just behind it. I now have the separator under the lock but it won't budge. I've used penetrating oil and a torch to heat it but the little 4 ton bottle jack won't work. Do I need a larger jack? 20 ton maybe? Also some threads I've seen at other web sites say the locking ring is not re-usable and to cut it off with a cut off wheel. Is that right? I was sure hoping to use one because one of the 2 rings that came with the bearings I just bought has a 2 mm smaller diameter than the hole in the bearing and won't slip onto the axle. The other lock will.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Just keep tightening the clamping bolts each side a little bit at a time,if that doesn't work have someone help you and put some heat on the race while you tighten the clamping bolts. Rick

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just keep tightening the clamping bolts each side a little bit at a time,if that doesn't work have someone help you and put some heat on the race while you tighten the clamping bolts. Rick
The bolts on the separator? I didn't realize those get tightened to force it off. I just have them tightened up enough to fit snug under the lock. I thought all the pressure was from the bottle jack on the end of the axle.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yep don't use the press to remove the bearing. Just keep tighten the clamping bolts a little on each side & it the race will come off you might need to use an impact gun. The wedge shape on the clamp faces the bearing race and as you tighten it forces the race up and off the axle. Rick

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Heat that race up with a torch until it is red. It will almost just slide off when it’s red hot.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about re-using the lock ring? That's why I don't want to ruin it. One of the new lock rings I think is not going to work because it is too small an inside diameter (2 mm less than both of the bearings and the other lock ring).

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
the "Lock Ring" IS not re-useable.

if you are doing both sides --- you need two NEW lock rings ( & 2 bearings).

if you cut the rings & races ==== you don't have too cut all the way through ------
cut in 3/4 or so .... that way you won't cut into the axle itself.
you can cut both the ring (then remove it) ... the bearing race may -or - may not then move ..... or cut the race also.
Most rings will break or snap , apart at the cut, and open up when they start to move. they are all different ....
.. like on the race-- you may need too cut alittle more (there's more meat there).

jim

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I baled on it and took the axles to a shop that can do it. I had him look over the axles first and he said they looked fine. He is concerned about the one new lock ring being too small and said he may have to send it to a machine shop to have it bored out. Sheesh

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's already been taken to the machine shop. Comparing the specs of a RW207CCRA the inside diameter of the bearing is 34.989 so the lock would be about 34.889. According to the specs at Rock Auto for the discontinued bearing from Centric the inside diameter is 31.8 with the lock being 31.7. I think the RW207CCRA would be a little too big. Too bad it's only $20

·
4,534 Posts
Maybe it's the same as the 55 chevy. too many parts to keep track of in my head

Miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts